Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions HELP! Possible Mange Mites

kourt1313

Cavy Slave
Hi all, my Guinea seems to have a case of mange mites, has had dandruff, has been scratching, and last night for the first time I noticed some sores. I applied Bag Balm all over him which soothed him quite a bit, we have a vet visit tonight (wanted to keep scratching at a minimum till the appointment). In the meantime till I get to my vet does anyone know if my dogs can get these mites? I'm hearing most things that piggies get are species specific.

No, dogs will not get these mites.

Please don't use the bag balm. While it may be soothing, it will only make a nice warm moist environment, which mites and fungus love.

It could also be fungus, because it causes sores and flakyness of the skin. That is very contagious for everything in the house. Until you know for sure don't handle him without gloves and make sure to wash your hands. You can get ringworm and so can your dogs.

Please, no more bag balm -- it won't do a thing for itching caused by mites. You can treat mites with ivermectin, Revolution or Advantage, and fungus with Nizoral shampoo and Monistat. See www.guinealynx.info/parasites.html, and follow the links for each of them.

When are you taking him to the vet?

We went to the vet last night, just a couple hours after I posted this thread. The majority of the Bag Balm has been wiped off (it was only on him about 24 hours) but I did see a vast improvement after it was applied and the sores are now nothing but tiny dots of where they were. The vet gave him an injection of Ivermectin and he goes back in 2 weeks for another injection. This has been a concern for a week and a half as I spotted dandruff last week and the first vet on Friday blew it off as just dandruff as there were no sores or anything. The second vet on Sunday who dealt strictly in exotics (which I don't believe now for one second) saw a tiny scab and very pink skin and blew it off as well, saying his cage mate from where I got him may have caused the scab and to just keep an eye on the red skin, even though I pointed out the dandruff and expressed my concerns. It was Monday evening that I first noticed any sores, I immediately called our family vet who we've had since I was little and the earliest I could get in was last night at 5. He didn't even do a skin scrape as we both immediately agreed it was mange mites, he just went straight for treatment.

This has been such a frustrating experience, I worry the stress of all these vet visits though will produce other problems so I'm watching him like a hawk. I'm in tears constantly for fear I'm gonna lose him due to the stress (even though he's eating, drinking, popcorning, pooping normal, "talking" and showing absolutely no signs of anything wrong, gaining weight, etc). I had such a miserable experience with my first two pigs in a matter of one weekend that now I'm probably overly scared, overly paranoid, and probably driving him nuts. I can almost see him roll his eyes when I walk into the room "oh God here she comes again"...

A bit of background: My first two pigs came to me with pneumonia, they were never in contact with each other, one died New Year's Eve (I'd had her only 5 days) and the other died New Years Day (had only had her 24 hours). They were meant to be cagemates, and both came to me sick. It was heartbreaking, I blamed myself but my vet (who saw my pig last night, not any of the other ones) said due to the incubation time frame of pneumonia, they most definitely had it before I had them. So you can see why now every little thing with this guy has me running to the vet.

By the way, what I find so strange is how this is only occurring on the skin under his white fur. The skin under his roan fur is perfectly normal. Could it be this is just where it started and it has progressed to the rest of him yet?

Hi, I have dealt with a nasty case of mites before. They are totally treatable. So don't stress too much. The medicine will take care of it and he should look and feel a lot better in about a week, with full recovery in about a month. For the next 2 weeks though I highly recommend you don't bathe him and keep touching and picking up to a minimum, because his skin is hurting right now. Other than that he'll be fine. My first pig had it on his forehead and butt, the second had it all over. I have a good relationship with my vet, so with the second one I just called in for a prescription for Ivermectin, having weighed him at home and skipping the stressful trip to the vet. Good luck!

Thanks, Nicolene :) He has been very active this evening and I noticed over the last 20-45 minutes since playing began (he's chasing his wood chews around, running around his cage and popcorning lol) he's been scratching pretty intensely. When he is still and just resting there is no scratching. We're just over 24 hours since the Ivermectin injection. Is this to be expected? I'm assuming it can kinda be related to a sunburn, how when we move it hurts and is more intense but at rest it calms down.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.