Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Wheezing HELP Please!

CROBELO9

Cavy Slave
So a couple of days ago I noticed that Minni was making little sounds which I thought were odd, but I didn't think much about it. But today, the sounds are definitely worse and I can hear her wheezing every time she takes a breath. She is eating and drinking normally and she doesn't seem lethargic at all, but those sounds are reaally freaking me out. She has no runny nose and her eyes are very clear, so i dont know if a URI is a possibility. The vet's office is closing in half an hour and i dont know if I'll be able to bring her in before that.

Here is a video: IMG_1753.MOV - YouTube

Good luck!

I don't hear any sound in the video except for the very beginning, it almost sounded like a dog barking.

Yes it is mostly in the beginning she stops for some time but then it starts up again :(

It's called hooting. It often means heart problems, and possibly pneumonia. I would have an xray done, although many heart conditions aren't that easily diagnosed.

Is there a reason why this would happen? She is not even a year old, and is it easily treated? :( Will be taking her to the vet first thing tomorrow and get an xray done, hope I can get a diagnosis. :(

Poor baby! I hope it is curable!!

How much does she weigh? Has she been sick before? Pneumonia is treatable, although you need to get on it right away, with some serious antibiotics. Some vets prescribe two at once.

As for heart problems, they are hard to diagnose. Xrays often don't show anything. You can head over to www.guinealynx.info --there should be lots of info about pigs with heart problems there.

Last time we took her to the vet she weighed 1.2 pounds, which was back in February. I took her in to get an abscess that she had under her chin removed. That is the only health related problem that she has had.
Thanks for the guinealynx link!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.