Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lump Help! Not sure what to do for my moms piggie!!!!

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
My mom has this girl piggie, buttercup is her name, and recently my mom told me she had a lump by her ear, today my mom calls and sends me pics of it tell me her ear is bleeding and there is blood all inside the cage, which she shares the cage with her roommate Oreo. I've told my mom to put her in separate cage just in case she has something the other one can get. And she's calling around to find a cheap place to take her in. What do you all think it is and should do so I can tell my mom?
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

mdodge

Cavy Slave
Good thing is looks like bleeding has stopped.instead of trying to find a cheap place look for an exotic vet one who specializes in small animals.you want proper treatment for her.it's possible she could of had a cyst that might of ruptured .but I would get to vet soon .they can clean n check the wound and prescribe an antibiotic if need be so no infection can happen.

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
You really should take this gp to a good exotic vet. It looks pretty painful

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
Thanks [MENTION=30784]mdodge[/MENTION] she is looking for a vet there aren't many where we live so the few we have found by Google she's calling for prices as she's got a limited amount she can afford for it right now but most exotic vets aren't open right now as its a Sunday so I think she's trying to find something for tomorrow to take her in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You don't need to separate her from the other pig. If what she has is contagious, which isn't likely, the second pig has already been thoroughly exposed.

She probably has a small abscess, which is easily treated in the location. But she does need to see an exotic vet tomorrow, if possible.

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone mom is looking for an exotic vet to take her to tomorrow, just where I live there is only like 2 vets that are exotic vets so mom is just seeing which one has the cheaper price and not going to cost over $100 just to be seen

Sugars

Cavy Gazer
As [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] said, it would've been a small abscess. If you haven't already, I suggest (while waiting for veterinary help) flushing the wound with saline, gently clean the area with saline as well and disinfecting with iodine. Don't consider this an alternative, just temporary to keep her comfortable.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Don't use iodine for disinfecting. It's very drying, and isn't necessary. Don't use peroxide, either. If you're going to do anything while waiting on the vet, just flush with the saline.

Sugars

Cavy Gazer
@bpatters I just find that iodine helps seal open wounds, so if it's scabbed then no need for the iodine :)
But thanks for the correction. If someone needed to disinfect something because they didn't get to a vet in time, what would you recommend? I've been told iodine and dettol. (never been sure about the dettol so I've never used)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, even in human first aid nowadays, disinfecting a wound isn't recommended. If necessary, it can be cleaned with saline, or a very mild soap if there's debris in a wound. But then it needs an antibiotic unless it's very shallow, like a scratch. If not too deep, an antibiotic cream can be used, but if it's very deep, it probably needs an oral antibiotic.

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
So my mom and I got Buttercup in to see the vet, it is an abscess they are not sure what kind it is though or what could have caused it, some possibilities are that her cage mate, they've never been agrees ice towards each other not fought and they've been together from the start, attacked her and caused an injury that became the abscess or some foreign object got into it. The only way they will know for sure is to make an incision to see if they can remove it as a whole thing or if it's something that will have to heal on its own. But her glands where all swollen, the lump was the size of a very large grape and have been put on 2 different types of medicine one I know is an antibiotic but can't remember on the other one but each is taken twice a day at least 12 hours apart. I will keep you all updated as the soonest they had available to do surgery was not till Thursday.

mdodge

Cavy Slave
I'm glad she got in to see vet .sending good wishes for her to get better and yes keep us posted.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
It looks really sore, thank goodness it's treatable. Good luck and best wishes to little Buttercup.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.