Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Help! Need Cage Advice ASAP on how to to protect new1st GP from our dogs & cats!!

fig4159

Cavy Slave
We just adopted a 5 month male GP who was born without an eye. For right now I bought a 3 level metal cage at Petco. He doesn't seem interested in going upstairs, though, and it really isn't big enough on the main level. So, we thought we would return it and build a C&C-type cage. BUT, it seems that the grid spaces are 1-1/4"?!?!? Well that is WAYYY too big for our house. We have 3 dogs (2 think the guinea pig is prey) and 20 cats (most if them also think he looks yummy).

Obviously we want to protect him but there has got to be someone that makes a grid with smaller holes!!! Can anyone help with advice on where we can find this please?

We plan to rescue a roomie for him once we have a bigger cage. The plan is for 12 sq ft, we were thinking 3 by 4 feet with a cover.

Re: Help! Need Cage Advice ASAP on how to to protect new1st GP from our dogs & cats!!

Not sure where you're at, but I've found appropriate (9x9) grids at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. That said, I built my cage out of wire closet shelving. The roof has extremely narrow gaps between bars, and wider on the sides, but you could do the narrow all around. It does decrease visibility, though. I have pics in my albums if you view my profile.
But welcome to you and your little boy!

Re: Help! Need Cage Advice ASAP on how to to protect new1st GP from our dogs & cats!!

I'm in SW Florida. We have a B&B here in town. What did you use to connect the shelving?

Julie

I used zip ties at 2 corners. The other 2 corners, I use binder clips so that I can completely remove one side of my cage. It's so big that I can only reach in the entire thing to catch my girls by removing an entire wall. If your cage was lower and not as wide, you could easily zip tie all corners. It's way more sturdy than my floor time playpen of grids with zip ties.

By having the little lips on the shelves on the top, it creates extra stability. I have mine on a sheet of plywood so that I can take these little clips (shaped like this: -^-) that have screw holes and screw them into the plywood for extra stability. I haven't done that yet and may not need to.

@fig4159 What's wrong with grids spaces being 1-1/4 inches? A dog or cat couldn't get through a space that size.

What's wrong with grids spaces being 1-1/4 inches? A dog or cat couldn't get through a space that size.

The animals reach through and swat the pigs. Cats with claws out can do some damage that way.

I have mine on a sheet of plywood so that I can take these little clips (shaped like this: -^-) that have screw holes and screw them into the plywood for extra stability. I haven't done that yet and may not need to.
I have the same set-up/ My cage is made from shelving, and sits on a piece of plywood. The plywood siits on an old table so it's high enough for me to watch them. I made sure to get the plywood cut so there is a 2 inch border around the cage-too small for a cat to sit on. So they sit on top of the lid...:eek:hmy:. LOL-but the shelves are 16 inches deep, so the cage lid is too high for them to reach anyway.

Assuming you still need advice, I'll give my experience with two dogs and two cats:

The regular grids are going to be fine. Unless you think your dogs are going to try and bite the grids and shake it and break the thing (can they even?) I wouldn't really worry about dogs. Dogs are good with a cover and they are basically unable to get at the guinea pigs. Cats, though, that's different.

The best defense against cats, is to build the cage high. Where they can't jump from the floor and have no other means of leaping on to the top. But even so, as long as you make the top of the cage sturdy, i.e. overlapping grids, they'll be fine. As for them getting their paws in, I dunno. My two cats do their darndest, and my youngest kitty is certainly more interested than the other, but.. they've never once managed to get their paws in in a way that can do harm. My cages sit on a one grid high stand, so they can't sit and put their paw in from the ground at the guineas. So basically, they do their best, but they have no real way to hurt them. They're kind of limited in their movements. Unless your guinea pig sits there and takes it, they can easily move out of the way. GRANTED, you don't want them to be harassed constantly, but the cats will get the picture eventually. Mostly mine just sit and watch now. And my guinea pigs spend all their time on the top two layers, ignoring the bottom.

What you DO have to worry about is the DOORS and the way that you secure them. I use binder clips, but if your other animals are going to have unsupervised access to the cages, well, just be sure to use enough to prevent anything from accidentally opened. I learned this one the hard way. No one was hurt, but I ran upstairs one day to find both my cats sitting in the cage, and.. I have no idea! Fortunately, the way my cage was constructed, they were at a loss as to how to get to the guinea pigs who were in hiding. But dang, it was terrifying! I will never be lax again. I still want to know how my 17lb cat got through a tiny hole cut out of a grid, I don't know.. five or six grid spaces wide and five tall? I could count, but either way, that's so small! He's so big! And I sometimes worry it's too small for my guineas to go through!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.