Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems help?! my piggie is sick!

faithintheheart

Cavy Slave
my new guinea pig seems to just have numerous problems:(
below is a picture of my new baby pig .. she has a really dry and sore patch on her head ! if any one knows what this is or can give me some advice before i have to ask my parents to take her to the vet ( its very costly :O) that'd be great thanks! :)

Attachments

quinn ear.jpg quinn ear 2.jpg
It looks like a fungal infection. You should definitely treat your little piggie. I know there are a few topical creams that people use on this forum for fungal infections. Because I don't know the name of the cream, I would search for "fungus" in the search box on top.
https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

ok thank you ! how do they catch these things ? could it be her bedding or food or anything like that ?

also what type of fungus do you think it is ? i have read about ringworm and thats about it ... isnt that contagious to people and other pets ?! :O

Yes, fungal infections are contagious to you and the other animals. You should use gloves when handling her, and wash your clothes afterward. See www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html for instructions on how to clean the cage.

You can treat that with Monistat, which is available at any pharmacy. Rub a small bit in very thoroughly, as you don't want her to eat it off her paws after she's cleaned herself.

There's no telling where she got it.

:( i have been handling both of them recently before i noticed ... do you know what tpyical signs are in humans ?

Dry, rough, itchy, scaly, red patches.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.