Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General HELP! My guinea pigs poop looks weird

cavyclub

Cavy Gazer
Hi, so recently my guinea pig hero has been having weird shape poops. This has been going on for maybe more than a year? I didn’t think anything of it because he hasn’t been acting weird but today he started making weird squeaky noises. Here’s the thing, hero NEVER makes noises. Unless he’s going downstairs or doing a certain thing (he’s a weirdo lmbo). Recently I’ve noticed that when I slightly squeeze his belly he also makes the same squeaky sound. He also does this when he’s pooping I think. It’s hard tell because when I try to watch him he some how knows I’m there :/ his poop looks really odd tbh

I’m kind of freaking out because I’m hoping it’s not kidney stones or a UTI. He hasn’t had any blood from what I can see but the mats I use are a light grey so it’s a bit hard to tell. I actually had a guinea pig (chewy) that died last August from either uti or kidney stones. We first visited the vet a year before because he was having the same problems and it turned out to be a uti. He got better after that and was fine until the next year the same thing happened and we took him to the vet and gave him meds but it didn’t work and he sadly died a couple days later :(

so I’m praying that this isn’t the case for hero because I really don’t wanna lose my baby and we can’t really afford a vets visit. If you know anything about this or could help I would really appreciate it!

Last edited:

cavyclub

Cavy Gazer
UH OH! I spot a little bit of blood �� trying to post photos but nothing is working ughh.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He may well have a bladder stone if he's suddenly squeaking when pooping. The shape of the poop can have an awful lot to do with the diet.

To post photos, you have to do so from a computer, not a cell phone. Just click on the image icon (third from the right at the top of the reply box) and upload them.

But he needs to see a vet. He is your pet, he depends on you for everything in his life, and medical care is just as important for a pet as food, water and housing. It's not fair for him to have to suffer because you didn't plan for his care.

cavyclub

Cavy Gazer
I think it is a bladder stone. I haven't really seen blood but every time he tries to go to the bathroom nothing comes out. He also has a brother named Oreo and I'm pretty sure he knows what's up because they get along super well. This is what my other guinea pig (chewy) got last year, he actually died this upcoming Friday last year. not sure why it autocorrected to kidney stones :(

You're right, I really want to but I'm gonna try to talk it over with my parents. I'll keep you posted.

Attachments

IMG_7126 2.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Those poops aren't weird enough to worry about, I don't think. Just keep an eye on them, and if they start having stranger shapes than that, we can revisit the issue.

And just for information, a bladder stone can turn into a full-blown, painful, expensive medical emergency if the stone falls into the urethra and blocks the flow of urine. You're much better off in every way taking care of it sooner rather than later.

Naali

Cavy Gazer
Those poops aren't weird enough to worry about, I don't think. Just keep an eye on them, and if they start having stranger shapes than that, we can revisit the issue.

And just for information, a bladder stone can turn into a full-blown, painful, expensive medical emergency if the stone falls into the urethra and blocks the flow of urine. You're much better off in every way taking care of it sooner rather than later.
Hi, I have quite the same concern also. I have 2 Guinea pigs and 3 months ago all their poops were black in colour but then just recently I think it has been 3 or 4 days already there's a mixed of brown poop and black poop. The brown poop comes from one of my Guinea pig. I'm not sure what it means. I don't see any blood from the poop though. It just change in colour not black anymore. Should I be worried?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
As long as the shape and consistency is the same, I wouldn't worry. The colour of their poop is very much reflected by their diet. Have you changed what you've been feeding them, or introduced something new?​

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The color of poop is highly dependent on what the pig has eating in the last day or so. A different kind of hay can change the color, as can different veggies.

Naali

Cavy Gazer
As long as the shape and consistency is the same, I wouldn't worry. The colour of their poop is very much reflected by their diet. Have you changed what you've been feeding them, or introduced something new?​

Screenshot 20220629 034606 comandroidgallery3d edit 2576153356710031 yes I did introduce them something new recently. This vitamin solution I just bought, I think this is the reason the colour started to change. Is it good or bad? The hay is still the same never changed and their veggies are always carrot, bell pepper, spinach, parsley and cucumber also tomato.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That won't work. Vitamin C in water in the presence of light degrades within a VERY short time. You're left with funny tasting water with no vitamin activity, and the pig may drink less because of the taste.

If you're going to give liquid vitamin C, you need to dilute that stuff and syringe it to him. Or you can give plain vitamin C tablets, either crushed and sprinkled on food, or dissolved and syringed to the pig.

But if you're giving a good quality vitamin stabilized pellet and veggies rich in vitamin C, your pigs likely don't need the supplement. Sick pigs can use a vitamin C boost, and senior pigs often benefit. Most others don't need it.