Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

help me !!!

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
I just want to add one thing to this. You may have lots of people, right now, who want and can care for the baby guinea pigs. If you keep breeding, there are going to be too many!

Thing about it this way. Lets just say your 3 females get pregnant and give birth to an average size litter (4). Plus the 2 males is already 17 guinea pigs!

3x4= 12 + 3 + 2 = 17

Then, your origional females and babies get pregnant again.

5x4= 20 + 17 = 37

And the cycle keeps repeating and repeating. Best case senario you could end up with 1 pup per litter. Worse case senario, 7+!

What would you DO with thousands of guinea pigs? From my calculations, your three guinea pigs + their female offspring could create more than 12,000 babies in one year.

Do you have the money, cage space, and time for that many guinea pigs? I don't think even an entire CITY full of people could properly care for that many!

So you don't want to neuter them, why not just take the two males and put them in a separate cage from the females? Its not harming anyone! They will all have companions and the females will be a lot happier not having to keep runnning away from the males every time they want to mate. Picture a vulnerable girl trapped in a room with a very sexually active man next time you think about putting them back together.

Also, please take your female pigs to the vet. There is a 20% chance that your guinea pig will die while being pregnant. That means, if you let each of your females get pregnant twice, its probable that one will not make it. Please think about all these things, and do what is best for your pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.