Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

help me !!!

Eliana

Cavy Slave
i have 3 female and 2 male guinea pigs .the smaller guinea is female and she is 3-4 months old .the last month i saw that her belly is very big for her age so i started to searching to the internet for informations because that it wasnt normally . also she was drinking a lot of water, more than the other guineas .so i think that maybe she is pregnant but she was too young and that its not good .then i touch her belly and i felt something like a small hamster with legs and arms and head ....
OH MY GOD i said ....................
and thats all. i am sure that she is pregnant but i dont know what to do i dont want her to die please help me i am going to do everything to help her and i am going to give as money as she need :guilty: :weepy:

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
Do you keep the males and females together at any moment, like for floor time? Or did she come this way to you? Either way she has to be pretty far along to fell the babies.

Here is a link to help you out some. Other then this I'm afraid I'm not too experienced, I have all boys.
...http://www.aracnet.com/~seagull/Guineas/CavyCorner/preg-facts.html

Last edited by a moderator:

clotho

Cavy Slave
The most important thing right now is to separate your females from any males - never let them be together even for a second if the males are intact.

Females can get pregnant very young - like about 4 weeks old - and males are sexually mature as young as 3 weeks old.

I won't lecture - you can do a forum search on breeding to find plenty of information on why we don't breed our guinea pigs.

Your sow is pregnant now and you will have to deal with the pregnancy and birth. You need to make sure she doesn't get pregnant again. Sows go into heat very soon after they give birth, so never let a male be with her or you could end up with back to back pregnancies which is very dangerous for the sow.

Make sure you feed her (and all your piggies) a high quality pellet like Oxbow or Kleenmama's, unlimited grass hay 24/7 (like timothy hay) and a cup of fresh veggies per day. Here is a great link that will help you know what to feed and how often: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...cavys-diet-read-me-nutrition-charts-info.html

Your pregnant moma will need veggies with extra calcium, like kale, parsley, dill, dandelion - and you can also supplement with some alfalfa hay for extra calcium.

You will also need to baby proof the females' cage before the babies are born. The females can live together and they should be aunties and help out with the babies. But please be absolutely positive of the sex of your guinea pigs so you are only housing females together. Here is a link to help you: Guinea Lynx :: Sexing Guinea Pigs You will also need to be able to sex any babies she has so you can remove any males from the females by the time they are 21 days old.

Please find a cavy savy vet in your area and know where you can go in an emergency. That way if anything does go wrong, you will be prepared.

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
The link I provided was not a Pro breeding site. It said nothing of breeding intentionally. It gave information on the care of pregnant sows. How are we suppose to give links on information if every site other then Guinea lynx is Pro Breeding in your eyes. It said at the top of the page that they do not recommend breeding. How is that Pro Breeding?

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
The link I provided was not a Pro breeding site. It said nothing of breeding intentionally. It gave information on the care of pregnant sows. How are we suppose to give links on information if every site other then Guinea lynx is Pro Breeding in your eyes. It said at the top of the page that they do not recommend breeding. How is that Pro Breeding?

I did read the PM and went back to the site. It is from a source that does mention breeding, however not on the page I posted. That was where my confusion was, sorry.

Eliana

Cavy Slave
acctually i live in greece so i dont have problem like where to give the babies .in greece everybody likes and wants guineas its not like america. we dont have shelters or any rescue center for guineas .we have only the maximum 10 centers with dogs and cats .and i will keep having males and females together so if they want to mate i dont have problem .the last time i had a guinea pig pregnant with the 5 babies i took her 3 days before the birth from the pet shop .after 1 week she died but i dont know her history or why she died . my problem now is not how or why to seperate the males from the females (because i want to have them together ) but what i am doing with the baby female who is pregnant .also i didnt know that she is going to be pregnant and she didnt want to mate so i thought that she is not going to have babies .

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Well, if you don't want them to mate, why are you housing unneutered males and females together?

Even if there is not a pet overpopulation problem in your area, inbreeding your guinea pigs is no excuse: http://www.cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm

Your previous sow died because she was bred.

You may not have a problem with it but I bet if you asked your sows, they don't want the 1 in 5 chance they and their babies will die. Backbreeding is also hard on them. Males can impregnate them again after they give birth.

What you do is separate the females from the males and find a good vet so this one doesn't die.

Eliana

Cavy Slave
My last sow didnt die because she was bred and how do you know that ?If that is true all the sows who they have them breeders will die...I cant heard about neutered guineas .My guineas are normally and i am never going to neutered them i will let them mate as they want (if that is normally ofcourse) I am against neutering .Does anybody here know why they are telling us to neutered our pets ?I will tell you why .Because they want us to be like pets of the big people (famous,who has money) If we keep breeding our pets and sell them or donating them to people, breeders they wont have job so they are telling us fairytails to bellieve them to get more money . Does anybody here know about cuy in peru ?Is anybody doing anything?No .Because they dont care about our guineas they care about money.Thats all i have to say.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
If we keep breeding our pets and sell them or donating them to people, breeders they wont have job
That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.

Does anybody here know about cuy in peru ?Is anybody doing anything?No .Because they dont care about our guineas they care about money.Thats all i have to say.
It doesn't bother me at all if they are eating guinea pigs in Peru any more then it bothers me that people eat beef, lamb, chicken or any other creature. Eating an animal is eating an animal.

I'm not certain why you are here. You certainly seem like you want to cause problems. You understand that this is a website against intentional breeding but you like to write about allowing your animals to breed all they want and even about animals dying in your care. I'm wiling to believe that you also keep your animals in pretty poor conditions.

I suggest you do some more reading on this website and learn some more before you post anything else.

Eliana

Cavy Slave
you dont know me or my animals so dont tell anything my guineas are very healthy and happy and i love them very much .If i am against neutering doesnt mean that i dont care and love my guineas .Please dont say if i care or love my guineas you dont know anything about me yet

Pumpkin_RIP

Cavy Slave
Eliana, you are a fool. How do you know if your pigs "want to mate"? You don't, and the males force the sows into it anyways just because you refuse to be a kind owner and seperate them. Would you like to have babies, one after another after another, continuously getting pregnant? It is very hard on anyone, especially on a small fragile animal like a giunea pig, to keep having babie one after another. Your sows will lead a hard life and eventually die, all because you refuse to do a simple thing like seperate them. Good luck killing your pigs (note the sarcasm) and putting them in misery.>(

If you truly loved your pigs, you would not force your sows to keep having babies. They cannot choose to become pregnant, it is something instinctual that the boars force onto the sows. Humans have been blessed with more intelligence, and therefor have more responsibility. The responsibility to make the right decision and help other creatures who do not have a choice. Take responsibility!

Last edited:

Siobhann

Cavy Slave
A couple of things aren't adding up in my head. You posted that you needed help because one of your girls seems to be pregnant, but you had bought a pregnant sow from a petstore. You said you had searched the internet for the symptoms of pregnancy but you should know the symptoms from already having a pregnant sow. I am confused.

Second, if you frequent these forums at all, you should realize that this site is very anti-intentional breeding.Why come on here at all and post that your pigs are pregnant and that you don't care?

Now, let me share a story. I had done alot of research on guinea pigs before I bought my two girls, which is why I bought only girls. What I didn't know was that a friend of mine used to have guinea pigs. He never told me because he had a bad experience and didn't like talking about it. He is an animal lover and has a huge house with lots of land to accomodate many types of animals. He went out and bought two guinea pigs, a male and female. His female got pregnant, weeks went by, and one night he went to bed like normal. He woke up the next morning to his sow, dead in the cage. She had gone into labor during the night. She was able to deliver one of the babies. The next baby got stuck. His sow died in the middle of the delivery. The other baby that was delivered died as well. When he reached into the cage to pick up the female he could feel another baby still inside her. Only the male was left. He let his sister take his remaining male and never had guinea pigs again. He was heartbroken.

As a pet owner, you're responsible for the animals under your care. I don't question whether or not you take care of your pigs or whether or not you love your guinea pigs. I believe you do, but I also feel you're doing what's best for you, not your pigs.

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
OH MY GOD i said ....................
and thats all. i am sure that she is pregnant but i dont know what to do i dont want her to die please help me i am going to do everything to help her and i am going to give as money as she need :guilty: :weepy:
If you know that a sow can die, and you are (supposedly) so distraught about it...why do you intentionally breed? (see the next two quotes).

and i will keep having males and females together so if they want to mate i dont have problem. my problem now is not how or why to seperate the males from the females (because i want to have them together ) but what i am doing with the baby female who is pregnant .also i didnt know that she is going to be pregnant

i will let them mate as they want (if that is normally ofcourse) I am against neutering.

Does anybody here know why they are telling us to neutered our pets ?
Refer to your original post and how (supposedly) upset you are about the possibility that your sow could die. That's why we neuter. Because of the high risk of death.

you dont know me or my animals so dont tell anything my guineas are very healthy and happy and i love them very much .If i am against neutering doesnt mean that i dont care and love my guineas .Please dont say if i care or love my guineas you dont know anything about me yet
Once again, I refer to your post regarding letting "them mate as they want". That is NOT love. You DO NOT put a life that you love at risk of pain, agony, and death.

Char-x

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Your ethier a troll or you need to do alot of research, ethier way if you loved your pigs you would seperate the females from males and not let them breed, no questions about it.

Eliana

Cavy Slave
I told you if they want they can mate if they dont we wont have any babies So why would i seperate them if they want to mate ?Why isnt good for the pigs if they want to mate i will let them thats life .My sow who is 3-4 monts is pregnant by an accident i couldnt ever tought that she would get pregnant.and i wont let them to get pregnant again and again when somebody is going to birth in the next 2-3 days i will seperate the males from the females .Because is not good after the birth to get pregnant again.and live me alone i dont want any ansewrs i know what is good for my pigs

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
Eliana - I don't think anyone is saying that you do not love your pets, or look after them well, but it does sound like you don't fully understand the big picture.

You say you let your piggies breed if they want to. It isn't a matter of wanting to - it is a matter of instinct. Nothing else matters where instinct is concerned, eg whether or not it is the right thing to do, safe, etc. When your female comes into heat the male will instinctively try to mate her. If she doesn't "want" to mate she will try to avoid him - but he will keep pestering, effectively trying to force himself upon her whether she likes it or not.

Animals also couldn't care less about inbreeding (incest!). If you leave the males and females together they will all attempt to maet with eachother. Mother to father, brother to sister, mother to son and father to daughter. This is VERY bad - inbreeding is known to cause all sorts of health problems. Not to mention you could quickly end up overrun with guinea pigs.

Even proper breeding - no inbreeding, healthy pigs of the correct age etc. is risky. It is estimated that 1 in 5 sows die. We dodn't pick this figure out of the air - it is fact. The breeders themselves are aware of this. They know they can expect high losses and they accept it. Can you?

You say there is no problem with piggie overpopulation where you are. For the time being maybe. But what is going to happen if every piggie owner acts like you and lets them breed freely? More and more piggies. It won't be long before there are more piggies than homes. Have you thought about what might happen to these unwanted babies? There are no shelters you say - which means they will either be euthanised (at best) or simply killed or turned loose to die on the streets.

You clearly have no idea about neutering do you?
For a start, in many species neutering (particularly spaying the female) prevents a whole host of potentially fatal diseases, such as some cancers.
In males of many species it can reduce behaviour problems such as aggression, allowing males to live paecefully together rahter than having to live in solitary confinement (eg rabbits - not piggies though).
Neutering also prevents unwanted pregnancies.
In the hands of an experienced cavy-savvy vet neutering is a routine procedure unlikely to cause your piggies any problems. They should be fully recovered within a few days. Pregnancy on the other hand means weeks of carrying round a belly full of babies, a painful birth, and potentially deat for both mother and pups.

There is every possibility your other sow died as a result of complications from her pregnancy and birth. Not necessarily - but you can't rule it out. Then again, it could simply be because she was a store bought pig - pet stoers are notorious for selling unhealthy, badly bred animals riddled with parasites and infectious diseases.

i dont want any ansewrs i know what is good for my pigs

Obviosuly you don't - which is why people here are trying to teach you, to help you and your pigs. Please don't take offense, just read what we have to say and consider it.

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
Crazywiggy made a very informative post. Have you ever heard of toxemia? The females die shortly after birth. There is a good chance this was the reason for the death of your other pig.

As mentioned before, the females have no choice whether or not they want to breed.

You are inbreeding pigs. Sooner or later you are going to end up with a litter of babies that have severe defects.

Please take what we are saying to heart. We only care.

clotho

Cavy Slave
My sow who is 3-4 monts is pregnant by an accident i couldnt ever tought that she would get pregnant.and i wont let them to get pregnant again and again when somebody is going to birth in the next 2-3 days i will seperate the males from the females .Because is not good after the birth to get pregnant again

If you understood about pregnant guinea pigs you would realize that there is a span of time that they can give birth in and it's next to impossible for you to guess when you are 2-3 days from the birth. There is every possibility the female will go into labour when you don't expect it and if there is a male present, there is a high chance he will impregnate her before you even know she's had the babies. This is highly irresponsible and very dangerous for your sow. The ONLY way to be certain is to separate the sexes.

Also, there is no such thing as this pregnancy being an "accident" if you house males and females together knowing full well they can and will breed.

If you didn't want answers, why did you title your post "help me !!!" ??

You have to understand there are many people on here who are actively involved in rescuing guinea pigs from terrible conditions and trying to save them. It upsets us to see people deliberately breeding their guinea pigs. It is people like you who create the conditions that cause so many people on this site to have to spend thousands of dollars and countless sleepless nights and much worry over the guinea pigs that end up getting dumped into their care.

You are part of the problem. If you did some research and read some posts on here - all the heartbreaking stories about sows and babies dying - you might see things differently. Just do a simple search on the forum on breeding and read some threads. Open your mind and learn. We are not about to pat you on the back and say "good job" so if that's what you were looking for - you need to find a breeder friendly site.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I told you if they want they can mate if they dont we wont have any babies So why would i seperate them if they want to mate ?

You separate them because the are animals that do not have an understanding of reproduction. https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/364098-post1.html

Animals reproduce because nature tells them to propagate their species so that they don't die out. They do not think about the risk to their health or the overpopulation problem. Nothing about captivity is natural. There is no reason for pet animals to be reproducing since their lives are not in danger from predators. They do not think about wanting a family. Their mating is driven by hormones and circumstance. THEY ARE NOT HUMAN. They do not reason or think like humans thus it is up to us humans to make their decisions for them. YOU are acting like an animal, not a human. I recommend you start using your brain and stop letting small rodents make your decisions.

It's all rather like placing a young child in a room full of candy with a few baskets of vegetables and give him the right to choose what he eats. You can tell yourself, "if the child wants to be healthy he will eat the healthy foods" but you know he won't. Young children don't think like that. The child will eat the candy until he's sick and malnourished. You are expecting the same thing of your animals. You are expecting them to make decisions they are not capable of.

and live me alone i dont want any ansewrs i know what is good for my pigs
If you want us to leave you alone then why did you come to this forum? If you don't want our answers then why did you ask questions?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.