Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds Help is this normal?

Kristen09

Cavy Slave
Hello! When I first brought my 2 guinea pigs home one was making this weird almost clicking/popping noise when she breathed. It was on synch with her breathing and it's pretty loud (kept me up for nights). I took her to the vet who said she was happy and healthy. The noise finally stopped but all of a sudden it's back again. She is always hiding in her hidey house because she's shy but even when it's quiet she still does it. Her eyes are clear, she will come out to eat/drink. Can this be a sound created by stress, is she hot (it's like 77 in my house but doesn't feel hot) or do all guinea pigs do this? Please help!!

P.s I recently made her cage smaller and she had a friend who got sick and had to be kept away from her. They were only together for a day or two so could this be the case?

If she was exposed to the sick pig, there is a high chance she may be sick as well.

I believe I have read that clicking/popping/wheezing sounds coming from the lungs is a sign of an upper respiratory infection. You should find yourself a different exotic vet and get another opinion.

Have you noticed any signs that her nose is running? I bought my piggy Mufasa with a URI, but the only real symptom was noticing little bits of hay stuck to his nose...apparently it was running, although not enough to notice the moisture. He sneezed occasionally, but that was rare. Then he started making that clicking noise while breathing one night and was dead in less than 24 hours. I'd definitely get a second opinion just to be sure because they can seem fine and then go down very fast.

She stopped making that clicking noise. When I woke up she seems fine and will maybe do it occasionally. Last night she did make some strange noise.. it freaked me out!! It sounded like a cat and not purring but it sounded just like a meow. I heard her do that 4 times throughout the night. I'll definately get a 2nd opinion!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.