Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

HELP! I'm Fostering a Ferret!

You can also teach it tricks! I got this information from the same book I mentioned above.

The ferret will be more receptive to learing tricks when he's semi-pooped from playing. They have short attention spans, so use short 5-10 minute sessions with lots of positive reinforcement.

Begging:
This is the easiest trick to teach it because they naturally stand up high and peek when they're going to steal something. This treat requires a favorite treat and a human hand.

• 1. Sit on the floor with a treat in your hand or Linatone on your finger.
• 2. Reach away from your body and let your ferret sniff the treat/ Linatone to know it's there.

You can even give it a tiny taste.

• 3. Slowly raise your hand until he has to raise himself to reach the treat.
• 4. While he's reaching to get it, use the command you want to stick with, such as "Up", "Beg", or "Sit up".

Choose a simple word and stick with it.

Don't let him rest his front paws on your lap or grab your hand. If he does so, gently nudge him away or move further from him and start over. Once the ferret begins to associate the verbal command with a treat, start using only the hand motion.

Diving for treasure:

The ferret has to be comfortable with water. Raisins are perfect as a treat for this trick.

• 1. Get a large litter box or something similiar and fill it with water.
• 2. Place a piece of raisin in your open palm and rest your hand on the water's surface. Allow your ferret to grab the treat.
• Repeat step 2, but this time lower your hand just enough to soak the raisin. Again, let your ferret grab it.
• As your ferret gets sued to this trick, lower your hand more and more until he's (voluntarily) submerging his head in the water to get the treat.
• When your ferrret snorkeler is a pro at bobbing for goodies, toss the raisin into the tub and watch him dive in.

If he doesn't, bring the raisin up from the deep and show it to him in the palm of your hand. As he sticks his head in to get it, drop the raisin to the bottom. He should go directly to it and snarf it up.

You can also teach it to roll over, play dead, jump through hoops and to come when called. Let me know if you want the instructions of any of these tricks.

Oh, I'd love to teach her tricks and stuff, but I'm already having a hard enough time trying to stay detached. I have to give her up for adoption as soon as her weight is up, and it will be hard enough as it is!:(

Oh, I'd love to teach her tricks and stuff, but I'm already having a hard enough time trying to stay detached. I have to give her up for adoption as soon as her weight is up, and it will be hard enough as it is!:(

Yeah, giving up animals is horrible. I want to help the Humane Society here by fostering some animals but my mother doesn't think I'll be able to give them up without going into one of my depressions. Right now I'm donating materials. My grandfather just passed away and I donated all his towels (he had 21! - obsession because of senile dementia) and I inherited some money which I used to buy a bunch of squeaky balls for the animals to play with. I'd really love to foster, though, so I can gain experience raising animals and dealing with other types (like cats, which I've never owned) and whatever else anyone brings. Too bad you can't stay with it ! :weepy:

I took miss Weasel in for her 2 week weight check and she has gained a whole pound! They want me to keep her for another week (which I just may have to stretch into two...I really am terribly fond of her). So that was good news! Obviously I'm doing something right!

Glad to see she is doing so well, on another site I belong too (for dogs) we have had a few 'Foster Flunkies' as we call em. I'm one, Ella was a foster gp and a week later I feel so much in love with her that I adopted her...lol......so I failed ;) too.

Nothing wrong with that....so do you think you will keep her?

There is absolutely no way I could keep her. I have never seen my dog so eager to eat another animal! I swear, he starts drooling and licking his lips whenever he gets anywhere near the cage or me when I'm carrying her. I really don't understand it, since he was raised around all matter of rodents and never had a problem with any of them until now. I guess her odor is just too much for him.

Ferrets should also have cooked meat everyday. My sister has three and is involved with rescue. She comes on here occasionally, so I will have her pm or contact you with specifi care. She is so skinny, the poor dear.

That is great that she is putting on so much weight Coopdog! Glad to hear she is doing so well.

Ferrets should also have cooked meat everyday. My sister has three and is involved with rescue. She comes on here occasionally, so I will have her pm or contact you with specifi care. She is so skinny, the poor dear.

Why should it eat cooked meat every day? Don't they get the proteins from the food? Ferret food should be made from meat products anyways because Ferrets are carnivores.

Cooked meat CAN be given everyday as a supplement. It should not be a staple.

Coopdog, I wish you could make it to CT. Id take her as a friend for my Emerson.

Isnt she great? She makes me miss my pair so so badly.
Something really fun to watch is how much fun they can have with an old pair of jeans. Toss a pair in the floor and watch her go. When I had my two ferrets, they would get a game of follow the leader going, it was amazing how fast they could dart inside one leg of the jeans, immerge and dart into the other leg.

I'm taking Weasel back to the shelter today. Hopefully she will find a wonderful forever home. We're going to miss her very much. Here are before and after pics so you can see how much better she looks:

Before

After

Oops...I lied. They want me to keep her another month because she lost 1/4 pound. I think it's because I cut back on her supplement that I was using to fatten her up initially. Anyway, we have her a little longer!

Aw! How good that you get to spend some more time with her, but the bad side is you get more time to get attached to her!

No kidding...we adore her already!

I would love to have a ferret but the musk bothers my asthma too much. And my husband hates the smell of them. But they remind me of otters and I think their little faces are so cute. I fostered one for just 2 days and she was into everything just like a 2 year old! I really had to watch her.

Ferrets are funny to watch and I love it when they do that sideways jumping and make that "whoo" "whoo" sound when they jump like that. It was hilarious!

Have fun!
Lynn

There is absolutely no way I could keep her. I have never seen my dog so eager to eat another animal! I swear, he starts drooling and licking his lips whenever he gets anywhere near the cage or me when I'm carrying her. I really don't understand it, since he was raised around all matter of rodents and never had a problem with any of them until now. I guess her odor is just too much for him.

I just happen to come across this post abou the ferret. Job well done with the little one and keep up the good work.

I just wanted to mention that it may not be just that your dog wants to get after the little one but could also be a sign of stress or anxiety towards the ferret. I am not an expert at dog behavior but drooling and licking lips can be used to communicate various forms of emotions. Just some food for thought.

But back to the Ferret. Great Job!

Well, Weasel is finally up for adoption. I do miss her, but it's good to know she will be finding a forever home now. It also means my old dog can be the absolute center of my attention, which is good since he's having some major health issues right now.

Here's the link to her adoption page:

(broken link removed)

:eek: OK...I need help from Ferret people. I will be picking up a Ferret to foster while she gains some weight, and I know practically nothing about them. They are giving me a cage, and I have a corner litter pan, food dishes, water bottle and towels. I assume she will need some kind of cozy or hammock. They told me just to feed her kitten food, but I am going to the store before I bring her home, so what else do I need to get? I know she's been vet checked, but are there any things she might pass on to my piggy? Do I need to keep them in seperate rooms?

This is so exciting! I've always wondered what these little guys are like.
just dump it at a petstore it will be a donation lol. but anyways to bad that you ended up with a stinky animal :shhh: :sick:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.