Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Help! I'm at a loss.

CavyKeeper

Cavy Slave
I know separating pigs during introductions (unless they're at each other's throats) is a no-no because it causes more stress, but what about after intros? My boys, Pudge and Presly get a long for the most part, but every now and then they get into it with each other, Pudge in particular being the brattier of the two. I noticed he gets extra fresh after floor time (he's not too fond of FT it seems) and right now he's being really obnoxious with the mounting. I've never seen him so bad before.

I had just taken Presly out for a short while to do his nails and when I put him back the mess started. Presly for the most part just runs and squeals, occasionaly gets fed up, turns with a quick nip then runs away again. I have to go to the doctors in a couple minutes, and I'm afraid to leave them alone. I threw some lettuce in there to distract them (mostly Pudge) a bit. Poor Pres looks like he's been through a wind tunnel after all the times Pudge has mounted him.

I'm not sure what to do. :sorry:

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
Leave them alone.
My Milo and Norbie have been known to tangle up in a ball of furry fury, they're just bickering. Neither of them have ever suffered any injuries, except a scratch on the nose or lip. As long as they aren't actually trying to inflict serious harm to the other pig, they're fine.

CavyKeeper

Cavy Slave
Thanks Haley, that makes me feel a bit better. This is my first time ever having a pair of boars, so everyday is a new adventure with them. Yes, I've been leaving them alone, and upon my return from the doctors they're still really fussy, but have settled somewhat. There was a chunk of this white stuff in the cage which I'm assuming is the boar glue I've heard mentioned somewhere else. No blood shed as far as I can tell, just a very messy hairdo for Presly, and poo crushed all over the place.:ashamed:

Ha, I really want to give Pres a bath now, but now that they've finally grown quiet again I really don't want to stir the two up. Oh well, Pres will just have to do his own hair for now. I think I might add one more grid to the cage when I clean it again just to give them a little more space.

I should probably clarify my original question a bit. Is it a bad idea to remove them separately like I did with Presly before? Maybe it was just coincidence, but that seemed to stimulate the arguement. It's just hard having lap time with the two of them at once because Presly is a little ball of fire and doesn't sit still. I need both hands just to hold him.

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure about separating them for short periods of times, but you mentioned giving Pres a bath...Perhaps you should bathe the two of them together? Buddy baths sometimes settle bickering pigs.

http://cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm

CavyKeeper

Cavy Slave
Yes, I thought about that. Even bought the critter shampoo in case it resorted to that. I just didn't want to rile them once they had finally settled.

Sometimes Pudge is like a grumpy old man. During floor time he's usually very still and gets extra snippy with Presly after they go back in their cage; if Presly is feeling playful and Pudge isn't in the mood he chatters and/or rumblestruts. Yet this morning the two were doing laps and popcorning like crazy. Ha, bipolar piggie I guess. I don't know what his deal is today.

Edit: Well, Presly finally got fed up and blind sided Pudge with what looked like a nip. Pudge jumped back a walked away looking a bit depressed. Gee willikers, such drama.

Last edited: