Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Help-I feel so bad :(

Squint96

Cavy Slave
So with the new cage for Benjamin and Squint, Benjamin is on the bottom and gets a little less light than Squint. I also, stupidly thought their "kitchen" could go 2 weeks before cleaning- which now that I think about it makes no sense but anyways I must have been out of my mind.

So while cleaning the kitchen in Benjamin's cage I found like a white fungus spot under his water bottle. it is the kind that you find in the grass after a lot of rain. I can post a picture if it will help.

the point is, I feel absolutely horrible and need to know if it could have hurt him. He probably walked on it being under his water bottle and all.

Please let me know.

There's nothing you can do now but watch his feet and his underbelly to make sure he doesn't have any problems.

And you're right, nothing in a guinea pig cage can go two weeks without cleaning.

The only time I would ever consider going 2 weeks without cleaning is during the acclimation period for my Piggies. I went 2 weeks exactly before cleaning, so that way the Piggies could get used to the scent of their cage and house, etc..

Otherwise, cages shouldn't go without cleaning at least once a week. I clean my cage and playpen fully every Friday.

Other than that, Bpatters has summed everything else up. Just wait-- Even though that can be the hardest part. :)

Don't feel bad! A lot of owners have probably gone a bit longer with out cleaning! I know I have!

My friend didn't clean her cage for a couple of day's and she had that white fungus patch, We weren't sure what it was so she scrubbed it off took her pig to the vet and he said he's fine just keep an eye on him! If anything unusual happen's take him to a vet!

Thanks everyone-
The new cage is awesome, I love it! The funny thing is, the main area can go two weeks. They spend 80%of their time in the kitchen and there are honestly like 25 poops in the big part over two weeks....weird huh?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.