Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables Help, I fed my guinea pig too much spinach

annamarie

Cavy Gazer
So I just got my guinea pig on Saturday and I read where a diet of greens such as lettuce and spinach should be fed to them every day.

Well I have given my guinea pig about four leaves twice a day since Sunday. So, I have fed him about 15-20 baby spinach leaves since I've gotten him

Today I read that you should only feed it to them 1 to 2 days a week and now I'm freaking out that he will get kidney stones. What should I do?

Just stop giving him any more for a while.

You won't have done any harm giving him it for a couple of days. The main reason you shouldn't give it to them regularly is it contains something called oxalic acid, which can cause damage in high levels long term and lead to things like kidney stones. But we're talking prolonged periods of over feeding. Four leaves a day for a few days will not do any lasting damage. Just discontinue it now you have realised.

Even if it's about 8 to 10 leaves a day

Yes, even then. It's not -great- for him, but it's not going to give him stones if this has only been since Saturday. Just maybe give it a couple of weeks before you give him anymore, then restrict it to a couple of leaves once or twice a week. It's not a bad food, it's high in vit c and a little bit every now and then will do him good. Like all things, moderation is key.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.