Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Help!!!! I dont know what to do!

Ravensleigh

Cavy Slave
Ok...so I just got Coco and Puff about a month ago. I got them from someone who said that they were both boys. I looked at both and thought I saw the same thing on both. Well turns out CoCo is NOT a boy. She is a girl and just had babies. I dont know what to do. I am freaking out. I have got to go to work today and cant call in. I just got moved to a new position that I have been trying to get for months and cant call in. Please someone tell me what to do!

Should I move Puff? I only have the one cage. I haven't gotten the CC one yet. I was waiting till payday on Friday. CoCo is in the pigloo and I saw at least one little face looking up at me. I am afraid to investigate more. I never expected nor wanted babies!

I have access to this website at work and I will be home for lunch to check on her. Please respond asap.

You need to remove the male now, asap. Your girl could get pregnant pretty much immediately after delivery where back-to-back pregnancies are extremely hard & dangerous on a sow.

You need to sex the babies at three weeks & separate any males from the mother & girls. Is there any way you could set up a temporary cage, a child pool or put him in a bathtub?

Also look the babies & mother over to make sure everyone is alright, or need immediate vet care.

I moved him to the bathtub...for right now. He cant stay there long as its the only one I have. Evidently I wasnt very good at sexing...so I need to find someone else to do it. I lifted the pigloo and there are 3 babies. I thought he (she) was just fat! Soon I am going to have to clean the cage from the birthing remains, it is safe to move babies and mom for a while to do it? I am kinda afraid of her biting me in defense of her babies.

Is there anything temporary you can use as a cage, for your male guinea pig. I don't think she will bite you some guinea pigs are more protective than others, she might be fine with it is she hiding the babies now?

I moved him. She seems fine, when I put her pellets in, she came out. When I lived the pigloo one of the babies flew the corner of the cage. The other 2 seem to stay right with her. They look ok. I will examine them more tonight when I get off work. I will be home for lunch so I can check on them then. What will the babies eat? Do the nurse? Please dont laugh. I know nothing bout birthing babies! I never wanted to have babies. Before when I had my gp's I made sure BEFORE I got them that they were all boys or all girls. I had 2 CC cages one for each sex,

I would make sure your cage is baby proof. If you dont have a cc yet then you should be safe but since i dont know your exact cage i just want to make sure. You should take out the boy as soon as possible. Try putting some towel and blankets in your bath tub. The babies eat solid food in the few days following birth. However, normally a young guinea pig will suckle milk from its mother for around three to four weeks. I listed somesites i went to.
Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
I just feel like a complete and utter idiot. I have been around pregnant and birthing animals my whole life. I just didnt think she was pregnant. I really and truly thought she was fat. And I never thought He was a She!

Accidents happen, don't blame yourself your guinea pig could have been just fat. Also if any of the baby guinea pigs are male remember to separate them from the others at 3 weeks you could put them with the dad guinea pig.

I would make sure your cage is baby proof. If you dont have a cc yet then you should be safe but since i dont know your exact cage i just want to make sure. You should take out the boy as soon as possible. Try putting some towel and blankets in your bath tub. The babies eat solid food in the few days following birth. However, normally a young guinea pig will suckle milk from its mother for around three to four weeks. I listed somesites i went to.
Good luck

Just to add to the information in some links. Baby guinea pigs need a good quality grass hay from birth, alfalfa is a supplement only.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just feel like a complete and utter idiot. I have been around pregnant and birthing animals my whole life. I just didnt think she was pregnant. I really and truly thought she was fat. And I never thought He was a She!

You usually can't tell a sow is pregnant for certain until the very end of the pregnancy, and if it's a still growing younger pig it really does look like normal growth/chubbiness. Sexing guinea pigs can be really difficult, you really shouldn't blame yourself.

I am at work now...thankfully I work less the a block away from where I live, so I can go home at lunch and check on them. I called my daughter to come over when she gets off. She will have to help me sex them (she always did the kittens and puppies) and figure out a temp cage for Puff since he is not liking the bathtub at all and since I do need to take a shower! I need to know what I can use a temp cage other then the bathtub? And once I get the CC cage how do I keep everyone seperate with out having a different cage? I also will have to adopt out dad and any boys. I will not have baby after baby. I am the one who always neuter or spayed her pets. My daughter does fostering for the Animal Control Services here for pregnant moms and always makes sure that any babies and mom is spayed or neutered as soon as possible and before they are adopted.

I am still in shock. I went to bed last night with 2 guniea pigs and woke up with 5! I do think its kinda sweet that they were probably born ( I guess ) on Valentines Day. I need help with adopting for dad and any baby boys. I do not want to put them on CL.

The fact that you got them a month ago means that you got her pregnant. Gestation is 2 months for pigs. Keep an eye on her if the male was in there at the time of birth because she may be pregnant again but you wont know for another 2 months.

Babies will start eating some hay, pellets and veggies within 24 hours but will need to stay with mom for a min of 3 weeks. I believe at 3 weeks you need to remove any male babies, do some intros with daddy at that time.

Now... when you have time we would all love to see photos. Guinea pig babies are so freaking cute. You can handle them from birth on, so don't worry about that. If mom gets upset just take her out with them when your checking them over. For the most part guinea pig moms are pretty laid back compared to cats or dogs.

im sorry that you didnt know about it but babies are very cute. cant wait to see pictures

In an emergency, you can put the male in a laundry basket with something to cover it. Whenever we have a tornado warning, I bring mine to our lower level and plop them in there with towels on the bottom. You'd want to find something larger asap but it's a quick solution until you figure out something else.

One thing is to make sure you baby proof there C&C cage when you get it. I would say keep it babyproofed untill they are 7 months. (I had a 6 month old get her head stuck and even though i did get her out, I am still so scared of grids that i made myself a wooden cage.) Dont go through what happened to me just baby proof it. That gave me an idea :O
Ok here are my suprise ideas :)
1.Find a giant box (fridges, tv's) put in some wax table cloths or somthing water proof. then just add bedding or blankets.
2.I think someone said this but you can get a kiddy pool
3. Get a cat or dog kennel. (It has to be big but if you know someone with one or find one cheap it could work well as a temp cage)
4. Lock off a room (better if hard wood floor) You can use boxes if you want, and just put down blankets and towels.

Oh and if you want some examples of a split cage, or a baby proofed cage im pretty sure i have some pictures up from when mine were in c&c cage.
oh and where do you live, my guinea pig families is allways open for more :)

Just posted a pic. Mom is freaking out. Dad is not a happy camper. I know he misses his wifey.

Well I am calmer now. Mom seems fine. Babies seem fine. The scurry away when I reach my hand in. My daughter is coming over after work to "inspect" them and try to sex them. I pray that mom is NOT pregnant again already. I know that at 10pm I still had only 2. I take the pigloo out when I am home so they get used to me being around. I got up at 8.30am and I had 3 extra gp's. So hopefully that is not enough time for Puff to do his thing. I can not for the life of me figure out how to link a photo, but there is a new one up of the babies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.