Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Help!!! I am allergic to timothy hay!!!

nickim

Cavy Slave
So I got 2 pigs about 2 months ago and have developed an allergy to them. I THINK it is the hay. I opened up a new bag tonight and just sneezed and sneezed although I was sitting by their cage. It seems to be getting worse... what can I do? Do they HAVE to eat timothy hay? I know they need hay but does it have to be that kind???

Thanks,

Nicki

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
It can be any kind of loose grass hay. I've heard that if your allergic to timothy hay, to try bluegrass, it seems to be easier for those with allergies.

nickim

Cavy Slave
Thanks, I will get some tomorrow!!! This is NO fun and I love my little guys.

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
I have terrible seasonal allergies, so I know what it is like and completely empathize! I would do whatever it took to keep my babies too, I'm luckily though, I'm barely allergic to their hay. I hope the bluegrass helps. If it doesn't, come back and let us know, and we will try to help you find ways to control your allergies.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
It's also more commonly called Orchard Grass, if you have trouble finding it.

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
I'm slightly allergic to their Timothy hay as well, but it just makes my eyes water and skin itch and sneeze, but only in a very minor way. I buy Orchard Grass and Timothy hay to mix, so they can have some variety, and the Orchard Grass definitely bothers me less.

Deenanicole08

Cavy Slave
I'm an super allergic to timothy hay. I got some of KM's bluegrass and it was wonderful! It seriously decreased my allergic reaction a ton. I used to get sore itchy puffy eyes, horrible headache, sneezing and runny nose, the whole 9 yards, but now I'll maybe sneeze a couple times and thats it! It's a wonderful thing.

Tarot

Cavy Slave
I'm so glad I'm not the only one... and its good to know about the orchard grass.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.