Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Help , I accidentally purchased a pregnant piggy!

Acqua Azman

Cavy Slave
Hi , I'm Acqua and I'm new here And I'm sorry for not introducing my self in the intro section , i know that this site is pro adoption and stuff but I live in Malaysia and we don't have such thing as guinea pig in a shelter.. So I decide to buy.. 3 of them all female but the problem is the older female (almost 3 month old) seems quite large !! And she is pear shaped , her nipples is larger than the other two , drinks and eats a lot more than the other two.. She always sleep.. So my question is can anyone tell me if she really is pregnant based on the picture? Her name is lily btw..

Facebook

She looks like she might be. How long have you had her? You are positive all 3 are female? a guinea pig is typically pregnant 59-73 days. as she gets farther along you should be able to feel the babies. check out guinea lynx website. Then search pregnancy.

I can't see your Facebook picture.

Read (broken link removed) for more information about guinea pig pregnancies.

And check the other two against Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig and compare them to each other to make sure they're both female.

Thanks for The links , and for now I have do what the link says.. More hay and stuff but I'll post lilys picture this Saturday.. Cos I'm currently in an exam week so I am pretty busy with studying sorry to keep you guys waiting.. :sick:
Sorry.. Btw I've had her for two weeks .. Well at least the worker told me they're all female .. But I'll try to bring her to my vet to be sure this sat..

Never believe what the person said in regards to sexing them. Always check for yourself! Good luck with her.

this is lily, i just took the picture can someone tell me whether shes pregnant or not? [GuineaPigCages.com] Help , I accidentally purchased a pregnant piggy![GuineaPigCages.com] Help , I accidentally purchased a pregnant piggy![GuineaPigCages.com] Help , I accidentally purchased a pregnant piggy!

She does look pregnant. Have you been weighing her? How much has she gained since she's come to live with you?

i didnt weigh her bcos my mom wouldnt let me use her weighing machine.. looks like im gonna have to buy one.. really? i thought she look pregnant but i wasnt so sure.. can you guess how far along is she.. also how much should a pregnant 33 month old pig weight? im sorry if i sounds silly im just so worried!!

She does look pregnant. Have you been weighing her? How much has she gained since she's come to live with you?
she is 2-3 month old and i just weigh her, shes about 1.3 lbs.. is that normal?

In my opinion, she doesn't look pregnant. My abby weighs 1.2kgs which is 2.6lbs (at 2 years old), and although that weight is larger than yours, her shape is similar. So I'd just watch for now.
Pregnancy lasts 59 - 73 days. How long have you had her?

In my opinion, she doesn't look pregnant. My abby weighs 1.2kgs which is 2.6lbs (at 2 years old), and although that weight is larger than yours, her shape is similar. So I'd just watch for now.
Pregnancy lasts 59 - 73 days. How long have you had her?

Ive had her for 2 weeks now .. And i tried to feel her belly for kicks and i actually felt a quite strong kick but i may be wrong maybe its just a placebo effect.. Haish.. I really hope She's not pregnant although i have buy new cage for possible babies.. Im planning on taking her to vet for an ultra sound ..would she be okay if i do that ?

I don't think an ultrasound is needed, just wait it out and see if the babies come or not.

Really, I would leave it for another fortnight. Right now I don't think she looks pregnant. If it turns out she is, by the halfway mark (another fortnight away) it should be getting real obvious. At that point/if you get to that point, then start concerning yourself with the birth, piglets, etc. It's excellent that you are aware that your guinea pig could be pregnant and even better that you are making plans should that be the case. But for now, just take care of her and love her.

okay last week i weigh her she's 580 grams(3/11/12) and today i weigh her again and she's almost 620 grams.. is that normal?
thanks grace!! maybe im just overreacting .. ill wait and see if her belly gets bigger..

I would continue waiting. Weigh gain in younger piggies as well as newly adopted piggies is normal. If she is pregnant, a couple of weeks before the piglets are due she should be a very obvious pear shape and you should be able to feel each one.

A good example of a young piggy gaining weight and not being pregnant is Anise, a little piggy I recently adopted on January 10th. She weighed 804g when I adopted her and now weighs (March 16th) 946g. That's 142g gained in 60 days. Her weight gain is slower some weeks, but there has been weeks where her gain has been up to 50g.
Here is an aerial shot of Anise:
[GuineaPigCages.com] Help , I accidentally purchased a pregnant piggy!
And one of Winifred:
These are just for reference. Mind you, some days Winifred looks like this:
Had I only recently got Winifred and she was choosing to sit how she is in the above photo, I would assume that she was pregnant. She most definitely isn't, she just knows how to show off her curves some days better than others :)

Keep weighing her, of course. It's always a good thing to do and a good indicator if there is a problem. I don't think that you're overreacting at all! It is great to see someone who is new to guinea pigs being aware of their guinea pig's health and proactive about concerns that they're having, and for that I applaud you. She may very well turn out to be pregnant. All I hope to point out is that weight gain with younger piggies or newly adopted piggies is normal.

Keep being aware and relax! You'll know if she is pregnant quite obviously in the last few weeks of pregnancy. You'll be able to feel each piggy baby and she'll look hugely pear shaped and out of proportion. You could very well be able to see the shape of the piglets, like in this picture I found on Google:

Good luck.

Thanks for the picturs... You really are helpful !! Thanks again..
But yesterday.. I hold her for a bit.. And I felt a very strong kick not mention that they're rolling in there too( I dont know if that's possible) but I really feel it.. another thing is her pelvic bones is also very wide open compared to my other 2 female pigs.. So I think im almost positive that she's preggy!! But I'm afraid that she might be miscarrieage since I've been holding her a lot..

if you feel the babies moving im sure she is fine.

really? thank god!!lol

i more thing.. i heard that if you already feel the babies kicking it will only be 2 more weeks until delivery.. is that true?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.