Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Warm HELP! How to keep guinea pig warm during snow storm?

piggyeli

Cavy Slave
So where I live (Virginia) when we have big snow storms the power goes out.. what do I do when that happens!? I don't want my babies to freeze to death! What do you guys do?

I've never had it be freezing when the power goes out, but maybe

1.Put lots of fleece snuggle sacks in, or fleece tunnels, or anything fleece! ;)
2.Put them in a room where there barely or no outside walls. (So don't choose a room with to many windows, make sure that room is surrounded by other rooms)
3.When you give them veggies, let them sit out a little bit so they aren't cold
4.Get some thermal fleece (or regular fleece) and cover the inside of their plastic pigloos with them.
5.Put patches of thermal fleece (or regular fleece) under pigloos, tunnels and such.

Hope I helped!

So where I live (Virginia) when we have big snow storms the power goes out.. what do I do when that happens!? I don't want my babies to freeze to death! What do you guys do?

Hi Piggyeli, I am also from Virginia and will more than likely face this same problem. Thank you for asking!! I will definitely be using tons of fleece and cuddling my piggies to keep them warm.

Guinea pigs tolerate cold much better than excessive heat. I live in the Chicago area where we get sub zero temperatures frequently in the winter. We've lost power on a couple of occasions when we had ice storms that coated the power lines. I put them into smaller cages in my sub basement where it's more insulated so the temp stays more steady than upstairs. I've always taken out the fleece and replaced it with regular bedding so the poop mixes with the bedding and they don't sit in their droppings. I keep pigloos in the cages and cover about 2/3 of each cages with down coats. I leave the other third uncovered for adequate ventilation. They stayed a lot more comfortable than we did.

Now would be the time to stop by good will and the like to search for cheap blankets/comforters to cover part of the cage. Look for fleece pant, cut off the legs at mid thigh and roll with cuffs to make cuddle cups. Fold under the legs, fold the waist down with cuffs, place the sack in, it should have room for two to snuggle in. Save newspaper, shred it and place in large boxes with doors on two ends tow borrow in, they paper will help them stay warm.

Now would be the time to stop by good will and the like to search for cheap blankets/comforters to cover part of the cage. Look for fleece pant, cut off the legs at mid thigh and roll with cuffs to make cuddle cups. Fold under the legs, fold the waist down with cuffs, place the sack in, it should have room for two to snuggle in. Save newspaper, shred it and place in large boxes with doors on two ends tow borrow in, they paper will help them stay warm.
Is there a video or photo where I could understand better how to make the cuddle cups from fleece pants?

Last year in Colorado, the heater stopped working but luckily we had someone come to fix it pretty quickly. But to keep my pigs warm, I used an electric blanket under a thick fleece blanket (it's handmade with fleece on one side, uhaul in the middle, and waterproof fabric on the other side). I just put it under one corner of the blanket just in case it was an uncomfortable temperature so they could move away from it. I had it on the lowest setting and I watched them while the heater got fixed. I wouldn't recommend that as a permanent solution but if it's going to be cold in your place for a few hours or less, it worked great. They were much more cozy and warm than the humans in our house!

You know those hand warmers? They come in different sizes, and are often used to ship tropical fish. Get a couple big ones and (when disaster strikes) wrap them in fleece. They can create 80degree heat for 5 hours, so your pigs can snuggle with them

My skinnies love to sleep in my hoodie pocket when its chilly. :) They also have a lot of fleece and minky snuggle sacks in the cage.

... a thick fleece blanket (it's handmade with fleece on one side, uhaul in the middle, and waterproof fabric on the other side)...

What waterproof fabric did you use? I have been trying to find something to make waterproof lap-pads with, and (broken link removed) is the closest I could find.

And I’m sorry piggyeli, I haven’t had any experience with guinea pigs in cold weather (I live in Australia where it is way more likely to be too hot than too cold), so I can’t help you. :(

I use something called polyurethane laminate - it's used for cloth baby diapers. I buy mine from Ebay but I'm sure they have it in fabric stores too. I love that stuff. It holds up really well in the washer/dryer and I actually made a liner for a play pen that is fleece, uhaul pads, and the waterproof layer so pee won't soak into the carpet. I use it every time I clean their cage and it also serves as a temporary quarantine cage.

What are snuggle snacks?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.