Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Help! Guinea Pig Pregnant? How to sex? Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

newguineaowner

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Hello forum, my name is Kameron. I'm a new guinea pig owner as of August. When I had purchased my guine pigs, I purchased them from seperate stores. Petco only sold females , so I got mine from there. I also got a male from petsmart about a week prior. Knowing that they were different sex, and understanding the responsibilities of possible breeding.

About 6 or 7 weeks ago (maybe a lil longer) I noticed the "male" guinea pig did something that looked like "mounting" her.. but it seemed like they were just playing. So I didn't think anything of it.. I noticed about a couple weeks ago the bottom of her belly getting kinda tight..and noticing little lumps in her stomach..mostly on the bottom of the stmach.. so I began thinking she was pegnant.. but now I haven't seen any change in her for a while.. and understand that guinea pig gestation is about 8 or 9 weeks.. I don't notice the sides of her stomach getting wider.. but she definetely looks a little heavier and tighter in the stomach..could she be pregnant? I'm also wondering about how to sex them.. because I'm now wondering what if she's not pregnant and my mind is playing tricks.. could they both be the same sex? I can add pictures..just would love some help/ feedback please anyone??

what made you want to buy both a male and female guinea pig? if you have done any research, you should not keep them together under any circumstances. even if you think you can keep an eye on them, they can mate so quickly you won't even notice. they could have mated while you were sleeping, for all you know.

if you know you bought a male from one store and a female from another, why are you worried they were sexed wrong? why would you take that risk? clearly you didn't understand the responsibility of breeding.

i would get your female to a vet to get her health checked out immediately. if she is pregnant, separate her and make sure she is living VERY comfortably. read up on taking care of pregnant sows. if she isn't pregnant, separate her from the male anyway.

regardless of what you think, separate them now until you are 100% sure of their sex and if the female is pregnant or not.

I already have a store lined up to buy the babies once their of age.. I'm not irresponsible in that matter. But I have heard that leaving them together until she has the babies is key.. from the sounds of it do you think she is pregnant? I forgot to mention I've noticed her drinking a lot of water..don't know if that's just normal for the guineas. And I'm worried about the sexing because I've heard the sellers could have sexed them wrong.. which is considered "normal" and that by chance they could happen to be the same sex. If I placed pictures up would anyone be able to help me tell if she's pregnant?

please try to find owners yourself. pet stores are disgusting and they keep their pigs in horrible conditions. today i discovered a sick/injured guinea pig and the employee (who i believe is the manager) ignored what i had to say and claimed the pig was fine. pet stores do not care about the well being and health of a guinea pig, they see animals as profit, not a responsibility.

i'm not trying to insult you by any means, but keeping fertile male and female guinea pigs together when you are not a professional breeder is in fact irresponsible and unfair to the guinea pigs. there is no way you can prevent pregnancy unless one of them is spayed or neutered. females have a fairly decent risk of dying and there is also the risk of giving birth to a lethal guinea pig if your pigs each hold a specific gene.

https://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html
lift your "male" pig up and check his genitals. you can try pressing gently on his stomach towards his lower parts, if a penis emerges, he is male. most of the time the penis is tucked and hidden and you sort of have to find it.

if you notice a Y shape and no penis emerges, no matter what you do, the guinea pig is probably female.

carefully lift your potentially pregnant female and check to see if a penis emerges or if there is a Y shape. be careful pressing on her stomach.

you may want to just separate them and take them to a small pet vet immediately to have everything checked out.

i've never dealt with a pregnant female, so i'm not sure of the signs. pregnant females grow very wide, however. drinking excess water could be a sign of pregnancy.
https://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html

Selling them to a store isn't responsible. Finding them loving homes is. For all you know that pet store will sell those babies to someone for snake food. They don't ask what you are going to do with the guinea pigs they just sell them. So yes, you are irresponsible in that regard.

Check out this link for more information on the RISK you placed your female under with this experiment. Breeding Guinea Pigs

Take clear and close-up pictures of their genitalia and post them and we can help sex them.

Yes, they could both be the same sex, or they could be different sexes. Hopefully the pet stores got the sexes wrong and you don't have a mating pair. If they are different sexes, you almost surely have a pregnant pig at this point.

Leaving them together until she has babies is not smart, you're just asking for your pig to get pregnant immediately after birth and have a higher chance of dying. Pictures of your "pregnant" pig can help us guess, but one can't be certain without either feeling her babies moving in the belly or xray/ultrasound. Have you been monitoring her weight? Exactly how much weight has she gained each week for the past 8 weeks?

Why are you so interested in breeding your guinea pigs?

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
keeping fertile male and female guinea pigs together when you are not a professional breeder is in fact irresponsible and unfair to the guinea pigs.

Close, but no cigar. Breeding is irresponsible all the time. It is irresponsible because it is dangerous and it further perpetuates the issue of overbreeding, among other reasons. There is a reason why there are so many guinea pig rescues, and why I volunteer for two of them. It is because of breeding. Calling oneself a professional does not preclude them from being part of the problem.

Well..didn't think my post would be attacked in such a manner.. but oh well. I do understand the issues in breeding, and have read about a lot of them. I'm so interested in not "breeding" to be exact, but the way life continues on in animals as it does us humans. Its such a beautiful sight to see something come into this world.

On another note, ill post the pictures on here now. I'm gonna take them as soon as I'm done writing this. And on the note of the "sexing" ill do my best to make those pictures come out for you, since my "so-called" male guinea pig is so fussy and he likes to nibble on anything placed in front of him..including my hand. My "so-called" female is doing a bit of hiding right now, but ill make sure I take extra care of that "belly" of hers.

I have a bachelors in biology, how about next time you want to learn about "the way life continues on in animals as it does us humans" you PM me and I will happily provide you with past lecture notes and explain any questions you come up with?

Is it a beautiful sight to see something come into the world stillborn, and then watch the mother die? That is a very serious, and very real possibility. What about the beauty the breeder who dumped 150 guinea pigs on our rescues 2 months ago? Most of those pigs were mite-ridden, malnourished, and some gave birth to stillborns (one of my fosters from the group did, and barely survived, herself). This is the side of breeding that people ignore, but it is the real side of breeding, and isn't uncommon.

Sorry to be snarky, but how people blissfully sit with their ignorance and lie to themselves that risking their pig's life is an important lesson for them to learn gets old very quickly when you are on the rescuing end of this all.

And, though I'm snarky and don't agree one bit with what you are doing and how you are trying to excuse your actions, please do post up pictures if you need help. I, along with (hopefully) everyone else, will still gladly help you for the sake of your pigs. Plus, most people aren't as blunt/snarky as me.

Another trick, to get fussy pigs to hold still, is a good baby carrot bribe. If you can't get them to cool down, try that.

Newguineaowner,

I'd like to know how much you are "understanding the responsibilities of possible breeding." Can you explain to me the effects of mating two roans, or two dalmatians or a roan and dalmatian? And how you can tell if a pig is a roan?

Thanks.

Well..didn't think my post would be attacked in such a manner.. but oh well..

Please understand I am saying this in the calmest manner possible…no harshness or sarcasm.

I’m not sure why you would have expected a different reaction from the members on this forum. Incase you are unaware this is a “Non-breeding, Pro-Rescue” site.

The people on here don’t take kindly to folks who are willing to risk the life of their female for the “opportunity” to be a part in the circle of life or for those who just do it for their own pleasure or profit.

There are thousand of homeless guinea pigs (and dogs, and cats, etc…). ANYONE who knowingly allows a male and female of the same species to co-habitat is only perpetuating the problem that shelters and rescues are faced with every day.

Please do what is best by your animals and separate them if they are in fact a male and a female. If your “female” is pregnant she has a 20% chance of dying as a result of that pregnancy or due to complications during or after labor.

Do the responsible thing and do what is best for your pigs that you made a commitment to by bringing them into your home.

well I do have to say that by holding my female guinea pig she is pregnant.. I felt lumps or balls in both sides of her belly. She is doing great it seems.. feeding her the right food and vitamin c she is required to have. I understand you guys wanted to be on the adopting end of this situation..but if I have people that can completely take care of the babies, then I'm happy. And knowing that the people I have in mind would do a great job, I'm happy about the situation. I understand the risk of death in both the babies and the mother, and it would be terribly sad to watch one of them die... but in all do respect..where's the faith that she will be fine? Seems like something you "rescuers" don't want anything to do with... I myself am not hurt by your opinions. I came on for answers and help.. and I appreciate all the help so far..

I'm charging my battery for the pictures.. will be up shortly.. within 30 minutes.
About sexing the male.. I did notice something that looked like a penis when I gently squeezed. So I'm about 90 percent sure she is pregnant.

Did you really say that animals doing well is something that rescuers don't want anything to do with? Were you able to type that without laughing?

I wasn't.

Also, I don't think anyone here is complaining that they "wanted to be on the adopting end of this situation." It is that breeding perpetuates an obvious, undeniable problem. But you aren't open to reason or logic, so carry on as you wish. You almost have me convinced you are a troll.

Last edited:
No.. rescuers don't want anything to do with faith in them delivering alright.

Rescues don't want anything to do with breeding. You can remove extraneous thoughts that you interject into my statement, and maybe you'll get it.

I'll try to simplify: Breeding = bad.

Google "guinealynx breeding" and "cavyspirit breeding" for further reading. I'm not wasting my time typing much more at this point, since you are missing every point everyone has made, and ignoring the questions that expose how little you know about breeding.

rescuers definitely hope for successful and safe pregnancies.

the thing is, with guinea pigs, it's very risky and dangerous and obviously unnecessary with the amount of piggies in shelters.

Last edited:
Haha alright. Its fine. If you want to continue thinking that I haven't appreciated all the help you've given me, then there isn't much mnore to say.. and I would suggest that you don't type anything else I came here for answers.. and if there is someone that can help me, than that would be excellent. I'm not going to stop posting on here because you went against what happened with me. If you don't continue to help people realize the issues of breeding than your not helping theoverpopulation of guinea pigs in any way. Have a great day surfing pigs. :)

Please know that we are not trying to hurt your feelings, we are just stating known facts. There are so many homeless pigs in shelters and rescues, isn't it cruel to leave them there to live out their lives? If people didn't breed, then others who wanted to own cavies could go out an adopt them, which would cause a chain reaction and many, many lives would be saved. Also, please don't take the pups to a petstore. They could become snake food, or fall into the hands of a backyard breeder.
I know I would never risk the life of my pet so I could witness the 'miracle of life." I would just watch some nature documentary. If you willingly knew that if you put a male and female it would result in pups, then why did you come on to this forum asking for help? Males and females do not "play", they are not like dogs. They mate. You should have done better research before you chose this route. A better option would have been to foster or adopt an already pregnant female. You would have saved a life.
Please read through the forum stickies on this site about diet and nutrition. Make sure your female is getting all the proper nutrients she needs for herself and the pups. Please also make sure to separate your male and female before she gives birth. Also make sure to separate any male pups after 3 weeks, or she may become pregnant again. Also, please do read through the CavySpirit link about breeding.
I hope this pregnancy goes smoothly for your sow, and that it's her last one. Please post any more questions or concerns you have so we can help you.
Breeding Guinea PigsAlso, about your comment that we should have faith that everything would go smoothly. Well, it's nice to think that way, but you always have to be prepared for the worst. Unfortunately life isn't butterflies and sunshine. Complications happen and pets die when they shouldn't. Good luck with everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.