Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Help, gross foot issue!!

Squint96

Cavy Slave
As you may have known, Benjamin had flaky feet last year/early fall. Today i check out his feet again because the coconut oil worked, and they were totally gross. His feet are pink, but there was hard yellow/green parts that looked like I could brush them off, but were part of the skin. He also has deep crevasse in his feet. I wonder if he was in a wire cage before? Anyways, I'm thinking about bringing him to the vet soon, do you think i should, or does someone have a home remedy I could try first. *I don't think it is bumble foot, it isn't like a rounded sore-like thing. Thanks

Do you have a picture of the new condition?
I have no advice for you, but a pic may help those who have more knowledge about this type of condition.

Here is the worse foot:
[GuineaPigCages.com] Help, gross foot issue!!
[GuineaPigCages.com] Help, gross foot issue!!

No lie, that looks exactly like my grandmothers feet. She 86, has swollen feet with sores and 50 other things wrong with her! I think the sores burst and look like that, but don't know if pigs are like humans in that way. Is Benjamin a senior? Wish I could help more! Sorry.

I was told he was around a year-ish in July I believe- so not really even close to senior but they may not have known the truth. I think I should add that he didn't mind when I touched them- other than the usual struggle to hold his feet to clip the nails.

Guinea pigs can develop "spurs" on their feet, often for unknown reasons. Take a look at www.guinealynx.info/feet.html and see if any of that looks like what you've got.

You said the coconut oil worked before -- have you considered trying it again?

Yes it just looks like pee stained spurs. Just lift them up like a hang nail and clip the dead part off as close to the skin as possible and file the remainder down. It also looks like you need to be more proactive in getting those nails shorter. Try clipping them as close to the quick as possible every week to get the qwik to receide back so the nails arn't so long. Otherwise they dont look so red or cracked. GPs naturally have groves in their feet. I would continue using th coconut oil or else Georgous Guineas has a foot lotion as well as fantastic shampoos that she hand makes just for piggies...

Hmm.. could they be a result of Benjamin staying in his pigloo 80% of the time, and always being in his pee?

Yes, it could. Move the pigloo around every day, or better yet, take it out. I hate those things. The pig is in a tiny space, sitting in its own waste and breathing urine fumes. Open ended hideys and fleece forests are way better for them.

Lots of pigs develop those on their feet. It doesn't harm them, but you could soften them with the coconut oil again.

And yes, move the pigloo out or at least move it to a new spot every day.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.