Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Help!! Good, big, safe pet store cage for guinea pigs!

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
Hi, Everyone!!

I need a new cage for my nine month old abby. We just got a cat, and she has taken intrest in jumping in my C&C cage and scaring my guinea pig to death. I have tryed putting C&C grides on top of the cage, it's just not helping. She jumped on them, and they fell.
Is there a good petstore cage I can use, for my guinea pig. One that is stronger?

Thanks for all your help!!

I just purchased a large cage through the Petco website, these are not available in the stores...it's by a company called Midwest Guinea Habitat the cage is 48x24 and 14 inches high. it is built on the same principle as the C+C cages, except that there are fewer sections, and the bottom is from a rubberized canvas that is velcroed to the cage. It needs a hard surface to sit on, but it's pretty sturdy. especially when you put the top on...the top is sectional but all the pieces are hooked together and the edges fit over the wall for a better fit. (I believe you need to get the the "plus" version for the top.)

Go_ellie, it's easy to reinforce the grids so that they'll work as a lid. You can buy a piece of 2x2 (it's actually 1.5x1.5, but you ask for 2x2 -- go figure) that's a little longer than your cage is wide, and zip tie it to the grids for the lid. It will keep the grids from collapsing. Also, a piece of closet shelving is sturdy enough to hold a bunch of cats, and will cost much less than a new cage. Either Lowe's or Home Depot will cut it to the length you need.

The cage mentioned by Havalina is barely large enough for a pig, and while it can be added on to, it's not the easiest thing in the world. I'd keep the C&C.

48 inches is 4 feet, 24 inches is 2 feet. You get square feet by multiplying the length times the width, so 2 x 4 = 8 square feet. Seven and a half square is the minimum recommended for one pig, and more is always better.

Just go to the hardware store and get a wire shelf cut to the length of the cage. You'll need 2 of these and they work great for lids for C&C cages. There are a bunch of pictures in the gallery so you can see how it works. The shelves are only about $5 each or so, not nearly as much as buying a whole new cage!

The midwest cage is not as strong as a C&C and the cat WILL be able to collapse the lid if it jumps on it. It's not a rigid lid-it's in sections and not very strong.

I agree with bpatters and RubyRain. Just get a wire shelf, look at the pictures in the gallery labeled with tops and that may help you envision what we are talking about. Good luck!

Do you have males or females. The absolute minimum for 2 females is 7.5 sq ft (2x3 grids), but males require more space to reduce the potential for fighting.

However, a 2x4 C&C cage is preferred.

Nine square feet is barely big enough for two, they'll be crowded. If you're doing C&C, couldn't you make it at least one grid longer or wider?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.