Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Help!!! Gnats!!!!

LittlePiggie

Cavy Slave
There are a bunch of gnats in my upstairs! That is where my guinea pig is, and I didn't discover them until this morning. Last night, I noticed a few flying around in my room, but there were only a couple. Then when I woke up this morning, they were everywhere!!!! I ran to my guinea pigs cage, and they were all in her bedding! I cleaned her cage, and then this afternoon, they were all back! Mia is now sitting here safely with me, don't worry. I don't know what to do! I have no windows open, we have AC. I just don't know where they all came from! Help!!!!

I bought a potter grass plant for my guinea pigs one time and brought little flies in with the plant. You might want to look around to see if you can find where they're coming from.

I don't have apple vinegar, what about white vinegar with sugar in it? I also read about putting in dishsoap with the vinegar...

I don't have apple vinegar, what about white vinegar with sugar in it? I also read about putting in dishsoap with the vinegar...

That would probably do the trick.. Worth a try :)

They might be coming from plants, trash cans, or garbage disposals that have not been cleared properly, left out food,etc. If I see even one gnat I do an entire home cleaning and take out all the trash even if it's not totally full.

What kind of bedding do you use? How often do you do a full clean and spot cleans?

Full clean I do once a week, spot cleans I do three-five times a week. Except for today, I had to clean her cage 3 times DX

I use pine and aspen wood shavings.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.