Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Help finding Cavy Savvy vet in Central Florida

Somemommy

Cavy Slave
Good Evening! My name is Cathy and my family and I are happy owners of two female cavies, Irene and Spikey, both 5 months old. I live in the Central Florida area and would like to find a competent Cavy vet. Does anyone know of one or how I would go about finding one? Thanks!

I live in Oregon, so I can't help out with a vet, but WELCOME to the site. I also have two females, Lassie and Poppy and I was told that they were 5 or 6 months old when I got them over a month ago, so I guess that makes them 6 or 7 months old now. Cavies are so much fun!

I would suggest using yahoo yellow pages and searching for "vet" in your area. Call each vet clinic, and ask if they have an exotics vet. If they do, ask if they are availble, if not, leave a call back number. If they say the vet won't talk to you without an appointment, forget it. Interview each vet, and ask them questions, like:

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What antibiotic do you prefer to use on adult guinea pigs with a URI (upper respiratory infection)? (Baytril, Doxycycline, and Chloramphenicol are good choices. If they list any penicillin based drugs, hang up the phone -- after pointing them toward some of the fine reference books listed below.)[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Have you used Critical Care or recommended it for your rodent patients?[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]("A no answer did not signify ignorance, but if they were not interested in hearing about it, I would not stay on the phone with them.")[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Can Baytril be used on young pigs? ("We know the answer is that it is not recommended, there are safer alternatives for young pigs.")[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What types of foods do you recommend feeding a guinea pig? ("I can't tell you how many vets told me to feed alfalfa on a daily basis!")[/font]

More info on: https://guinealynx.com/vet.html

This is what I did, and I found a wonderful vet.

I would search for "exotic vet" might take less calls that way.

There is a recommended vet thread at guinealynx too and some Florida people on the forums.

You can't - I tried that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.