Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance Help!!!! Dominance!!!!

• Thread starter piggiepigpigs75
  • Start date

piggiepigpigs75

Cavy Slave
For two weeks now, i have had my new boar, oliver. He is a black Abyssinian. Introductions to my heard(2 other boars) went wel l and they now live together. Here is the problem- Oliver gets along with one Pig Frank and Frank gets along with him. Out of no where though, my other pig Norbert is not getting along with Frank and Oliver anymore. Norbert will go mount frank and then Oliver and then sit in front of the two water bottles. Should i take out norbert? At the moment they live in a 2x4. Today I will be adding a 2X2 loft. I also have a store bought cage or I could make a stacked cage. Help!!!!:important:important:important

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Mounting is normal dominance behavior, they will sort it out themselves.
Only ever separate pigs if blood is drawn.
Cage space is sounding like it could be a problem, a 2x6 is recommended for three boars. I wouldn't bother adding a loft, lofts take up alot of room on the ground floor, I would work on making it a 2x6 instead.

piggiepigpigs75

Cavy Slave
Mounting is normal dominance behavior, they will sort it out themselves.
Only ever separate pigs if blood is drawn.
Cage space is sounding like it could be a problem, a 2x6 is recommended for three boars. I wouldn't bother adding a loft, lofts take up alot of room on the ground floor, I would work on making it a 2x6 instead.

The cage will be expanded soon. Thank you!

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
I would recommend building a bigger cage, preferably a 2x5 or 6 with no loft. This will take away space. Adding extra water bottles, food bowls etc. will help with Norbert blocking the water bottles, that way the other piggies will be able to eat and drink. The rule of the thumb is not to separate unless blood is drawn.

Razzle

Cavy Slave
It's best to have three or more of everything with three little ones. Try adding a third water bottle. Agree that this is normal behavior.

piggiepigpigs75

Cavy Slave
I would recommend building a bigger cage, preferably a 2x5 or 6 with no loft. This will take away space. Adding extra water bottles, food bowls etc. will help with Norbert blocking the water bottles, that way the other piggies will be able to eat and drink. The rule of the thumb is not to separate unless blood is drawn.

I will be heading to my local market in a few days, and they sell bottles. At the moment, I have seperated the bottles into different parts of the cage so Norbert can not block both.

Zubbus

Cavy Slave
Can I suggest the possibility of a squarer space especially if you have a choice? With furnitures, it seems my guinea pigs are too dumb to get around each other some of the time and that fuels the fighting. I agree with not bothering with a loft. My guinea pigs are not very vertical at all either. I tried everything - ladder (ok, there's a reason why there are no guinea pig ladders, ever, and this is it), ramp, tunnels, steps and they barely *want* to go "upstairs", although they are slowly getting there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.