Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Stores HELP! Did I do the right thing?

LuisaSpike

Cavy Slave
I went into petsmart today, and in the male guinea pig tank, I saw what I am 90% sure was a pregnant female. I mean, this pig was HUGE! It took all of my self control to turn around and walk out of the store, but now I feel really guilty about leaving her there. Did I do the right thing in not buying her? Or should I attempt to go back and get her? Please, please respond with your opinion on this, I need all the advice I can get!

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
You did the right thing. No more supporting the animal breeding of the petstores. *bows down* You are glory! lol

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
Are you sure your petsmart sells females? Mine does not sell ANY female animals other than spayed cats/dogs which are adoptions from our shelter not sells and fish.

LuisaSpike

Cavy Slave
My Petsmart does not intentionally sell females, but petstores are notorious for missexing guinea pigs. There is a chance that it was a male, but I'm pretty sure it was a pregnant female because its abdomen was the size of an orange, and it was smaller than my pigs were when I got them at 2 months, so they were probably at most only like 6 weeks old.

Lasinalia

Cavy Slave
You could go back and ask them to sex it again..see if male or female. If female, they may want to separate it so they don't get her immediately pregnant again...

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
Personally I would've asked to hold the guinea pig and checked it myself without letting workers know what exactly I'm doing to make sure it was not a female. It very well could have been a female or it could have been a cuy. If it was either I would've given in to it because that's just the type of person I am (I need help lol) which is why I try my best to stay away from the animals at pet stores as I always give in. Its a bad habit I have :(

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
PetSmart does missex sometimes, but I would think they would've caught it by now. They usually double check prior to putting them on the floor. All PetSmart stores are a single sex.

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
My PetsMart sells both males and females.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
My PetsMart sells both males and females.

Really? I work at PetSmart, and we were told all PetSmarts are single sex stores, either male or female.

LuisaSpike

Cavy Slave
I don't know, I guess I might have just been seeing things, it was laying down inside a pigloo, so maybe it just looked extra round. I hope that is the case, but it's stomach looked extremely out of proportion in comparison with its head, so I don't really know. I'm just glad I did the right thing in leaving it there and not buying it.

ashcat101

Cavy Slave
I would have told them that I have experience in guinea pigs and from my experience, that pig looked to be a pregnant female. I would have asked them if they could put it in alone until the babies were born and offer to come back to sex the babies to be properly penned if they didn't know how to sex them (which I guess they don't). If they refused, I would have bought the pig, to help it through the pregnancy and the make sure that the young female babies didn't eventually go through the same thing. But that's just my opinion. I have a soft heart and tend to pick up animals that look to be sick or suffering wherever I go, be it county fairs, pet stores, on the street, and I have even offered to buy animals from other people that looked as though they were being cared for incorrectly. Being raised by an extremely experienced vet assistant and raising hundreds of stray animals on my own from the age of 5, I tend to be opinionated when it comes to these things and try to help every animal I come across.
On the other hand, if you can not afford the pregnant pig, and you can not properly care for it and its babies, you probably did the right thing in leaving it there. At least you know it will get fresh food and water. Plus PetSmart is supposed to have a vet check guarantee, so I imagine they would have the babies properly checked and cared for.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Really? I work at PetSmart, and we were told all PetSmarts are single sex stores, either male or female.

That's probably corporate philosophy, but the reality is that a LOT of pet store clerks are totally incompetent at sexing pigs. And the breeders who supply them undoubtedly just don't care. You have only to read these forums for a few weeks to find out how many missexed pigs were purchased from PetSmart and PetCo.

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
Or how many pregnant females. Mine just had two pups. 1 out of 8 guineas sold there were pregnant females....

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
That's probably corporate philosophy, but the reality is that a LOT of pet store clerks are totally incompetent at sexing pigs. And the breeders who supply them undoubtedly just don't care. You have only to read these forums for a few weeks to find out how many missexed pigs were purchased from PetSmart and PetCo.

I know they are missexed frequently. At our store though we are really careful about sexing. They are checked and double checked. They have not had a single male or pregnant female sneak through since I've been there. But our manager is very strict about the pigs she lets in. Granted, they all still come from Rainbow Exotics, which is like small animal heck.

I'm not going to lie and say I "love my job", but when I was looking for a part-time job I decided "people are going to buy guinea pigs at pet stores... I might as well work on the front lines". I always send people to GPC and GL for more information about pigs.

Lasinalia

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=27350]ClemmyOddieIndy[/MENTION] Thank you for doing such hard work to try to educate people CORRECTLY about guinea pig care. :)

jasonwarr1

Cavy Slave
The petsmart here also sells male and females.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.