Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss Help - advice sought. Possible fungal infection??? I'm a newbie to cavy care.

Hayles

Cavy Slave
Hi all. I just adopted two boys (one approx 1 year old and one only a month or two old) and the younger of them has got a dry scabby spot near his nose appear. Bit worried this is a fungal infection, maybe ringworm. I tried putting betadine on it but couldn't get it on without it going in nostril so I started putting a tinea cream with miconazole in it. Any recommendations from people's experience? Should I separate them or disinfect the whole cage? I'm just new to cavy care and feel terrible that he's got an injury/illness. Thanks, Hayley [GuineaPigCages.com] Help - advice sought.  Possible fungal infection??? I'm a newbie to cavy care.

Looks like ringworm to me, but I'm certainly no expert.

Since they've already been together I don't know if you need to separate. You can put miconazole on it, or another of the over the counter fungal creams. If you want to ascertain that it is indeed ringworm you will need a vet visit. It could be a number of other fungal infections.

Look for info here--
https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.