Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello!

shc1192

Cavy Slave
Hi! My name is Stephanie. I have one young boar who I have only had for a couple of months. His name is Shadowfax, like Gandalf's horse in Lord of the Rings. He is a very sweet, active little cavy. He seems accustomed to his home now, and has recently started coming right up to me when I put my hand in his cage! I'm currently looking for a friend for him. :)

Welcome! :D We would all love to see some pigtures of Shadowfax, and it's great that you are looking to adopt a friend for him!

Welcome! I hope we see some pictures soon and finding him a friend is probably the best thing you could do for him!:) But make sure it's a male friend because you don't want little babies! And also, try to get one of the same size so that there isn't more reasons for agression.

Welcome! I hope we see some pictures soon and finding him a friend is probably the best thing you could do for him!:) But make sure it's a male friend because you don't want little babies! And also, try to get one of the same size so that there isn't more reasons for agression.

Aggression doesn't have anything to do with the size of the pig, it's all in the personalities, a small tiny pig could have a dominate personality, while a large pig could be very submissive. My Phoenix was the biggest in the herd, yet she was not dominate and never had any sort of fights with the other pigs.

Thanks! Yes, I am looking for another boar. I did hours and hours of cavy research on this site and others before deciding to take him in, so that I could be sure to give him the best life possible! :)

Welcome! :D We would all love to see some pigtures of Shadowfax, and it's great that you are looking to adopt a friend for him!

Thank you, I will post pictures soon!

Sounds like he has a great home!! you can go to petfinder.com. There you can find adotable piggies in your area.

Welcome, can wait to see pictures!!!:)

Welcome to the forum! hope you fun on here and i hope to see lots of good pigtures!

Hey Stephanie!
Welcome to the forum. This is the best place to be for those that have many questions.
Yes, your bore needs a member of the herd.
Send Pigtures!

Here are some pictures of my Shadowfax! :tearsofjo He has a C&C cage that is currently half fleece with Uhaul pads underneath, and half Carefresh bedding, as I am deciding which to stick with. I am leaning towards fleece.

[GuineaPigCages.com] Hello!
[GuineaPigCages.com] Hello!

He is so cute! Welcome to the forum :)

Thank you all for the welcomes and for the kind words towards my little boy! :D

Hello welcome to the forum! He sounds very sweet. :) if your looking for a new pig there is an adoption thread in the forum & also try Craigslist.org & petfinder. Good luck!

@Pigluv However Craigslist and things like that should only be used as a very last resort in my opinion for newbies. Rescues would be a better option, seeing as with a good rescue, the pig is more likely to be healthy at first, with Craigslist pigs, there are stories of people getting pigs off there that have a plethora of problems, right off the bat. Unless you have had tons of time to research different pig illnesses, how to treat them, signs that a pigs is sick, etc. I recommend people try to get a pig from a rescue. pigs from Craigslist also tend to sometimes have behavioral issues, like with my Nova who I rescued of there and am rehoming. He can't be held unless by a very skilled person, he attempts to leap out of your arms, and flinches when being touched.

Though those pigs still need great homes, for someone new to guinea pigs, they might not be ready for an on-slot of issues right of the bat.

Here are some pictures of my Shadowfax! :tearsofjo He has a C&C cage that is currently half fleece with Uhaul pads underneath, and half Carefresh bedding, as I am deciding which to stick with. I am leaning towards fleece.

Hey! Welcome to the forum!! Your piggy is adorable and I love his name :)

If you do decide to stick with fleece you can always do a "kitchen" with care-fresh or some other form of disposable litter. I have my "kitchen" made out of a disposable roasting pan, but you can use coroplast or some other container....

I put small fleece blankets in there under the pellets, hay and veggies because I can't afford to keep buying disposable bedding. My piggies do a lot of their "business" in there and it makes it a lot easier to clean the cage when I can just dump the poo/hay off of a blanket, throw it in a laundry basket and plop in a new one!

Rescues are the best bet if you want a guarantee that they are healthy when you adopt them. I'm against buying a guinea pig from a pet store but I'm not against getting them off Craigslist as long as you're certain it's not from a breeder. Asking a lot of questions about the guinea pig will be able to tell you about its history. Two of mine are rescue pigs and five are from Craigslist. My Craigslist ones were all cases of "not enough time to care for them" and not issues with health. Two of them are texels and were listed on Craigslist for a very long time. A 17 year old high school boy just wanted to be sure that whoever took them would keep them on fleece and care for them as he had done. I paid an adoption fee of $50 for the guinea pigs, a carrier, two double pigloos, two cuddlesacks, their brushes, bottle, another hidey house, and all of their fleece and towels. I knew at that price, he wasn't trying to make a profit and wasn't a breeder and was positive after talking to him. One came from a 12 year old girl who was on a traveling soccer team and didn't have time for her and the other was from a family with a 4 year old daughter, a very big dog, another baby on the way and living in a tiny apartment where it was hard to keep the dog from the guinea pig. I'd say take your time and look around and you'll find one that's perfect for you.

Hey! Welcome to the forum!! Your piggy is adorable and I love his name :)

If you do decide to stick with fleece you can always do a "kitchen" with care-fresh or some other form of disposable litter. I have my "kitchen" made out of a disposable roasting pan, but you can use coroplast or some other container....

I put small fleece blankets in there under the pellets, hay and veggies because I can't afford to keep buying disposable bedding. My piggies do a lot of their "business" in there and it makes it a lot easier to clean the cage when I can just dump the poo/hay off of a blanket, throw it in a laundry basket and plop in a new one!

Thanks! :)

Yeah I've been thinking about doing that. He seems to do pretty much all of his "business" on one side of the cage, which is the side I've been putting bedding on, and that's probably the side I'd put the kitchen on. I'm re-doing his cage soon anyway (with a fleece forest and hanging beds and hopefully a loft!) so I think I'll add the kitchen to my design.

I've been looking at local rescue sites and Petfinder. I have also been keeping an eye on Craigslist. Most of the guinea pigs I've seen are free or cheap, and all have similar can't afford/someone is allergic/new baby on the way stories. I would be wary and ask lots of questions of course before getting a guinea pig that way. I would definitely prefer to find one at a rescue though. :)

Hello and welcome to the forum! Shadowfax is adorable!!
Both of my pigs are from a website like Craigslist. It can be hit or miss healthwise when getting a pig from a rehoming situation. My sow was in perfect health when I got her, and she hasn't really had any medical problems yet. She's so full of life. My neutered boar, on the other hand, had lice, a huge gash in his back, and he has ongoing eye problems. He is the sweetest pig I have ever had, though! A real cuddle bug ❤️
Do your research so you know what to look for! Good luck finding Shadowfax a buddy!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.