Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello.

IlovemyRhino

Cavy Slave
Hi I'm new on the website I was looking at all the pictures and was so into them I just had to sign up! I got my first guinea pig about 2 months ago and got my second about 1 month ago. They are both males and they are acting dominant. They haven't fought though. Should I still give them seperate cages or will they be ok? (sorry for spelling errors.
Thanks

Hello and welcome!!
Making sure they have enough space is a major thing when getting males to bond. How big is your cage? Also, make sure to have multiples of everything in your cage so they don't fight over things. How old are they? If they are going through puberty it can get pretty hectic with all their manly hormones flowing about, but only separate them if there is bloodshed. Chattering and rumbling at eachother is normal.
Have a look over this page, it has great info about getting pigs to bond and everything else piggie. Guinea Pigs Social Life
You'll have to post some pictures of your piggies for us to see! :)

If they're not actually fighting, they don't need separate cages. They do, however, need plenty of room in the cage they're in. A pair of boars does best in a cage that's at least 10-12 square feet, and more is better. They need two water bottles, two pellet dishes, two feeding dishes, two hideys (each with at least two ways in and out of it), and a hayrack big enough that they can eat without getting in each other's space.

Welcome to the forum, and we'd love to see pictures.

C&C cages are the best! I break up cardboard boxes and make tunnels for them (take off any staples, tape, etc) around the perimeter of the cage. It keeps them busy and happy, plus they have a place to get away from each other. Lots of hay is a great way to keep them busy as well plus they need it in constant supply for their health. I have three females and they still argue a bit and they've been together for three years now. As long as no one is actually biting, I'd say you boys will be fine. Have fun with them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.