Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello there, everyone.

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave
After years of waiting for permission, I was finally able to get a guinea pig... Just in time to graduate college! :p
Once I got the O-K, I checked Petfinder and saw an ad for two young pigs - perfect! When I got to the shelter only one pig was left and after seeing the receptionist's surprise at my interest in it, I was afraid to ask what happened to the other one. I was disappointed that there was only one and a bit concerned for its health, but I had to agree with my mom that $10 for a pig is a steal.
I am not 100% sure, but I think my pig is female. She was very skinny when I got her, and I don't think she was fed hay or veggies by the shelter staff. When I put her in the cage at home she went straight for the hay, but has shown only a passive interest in veggies. All that hay sure has filled her out though!
She scratches herself a lot and pulls fur out with her teeth, so I see a vet visit in our future. She has also become more resistant to handling lately, kicking/scratching my hand with her back feet and making rumbling noises.

Well, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! I hope you guys don't mind another amateur cavy keeper here at the forum. :eek:ptimist:

Welcome to the forum! I think your girl has mites. You can treat her yourself. Here is the link for info: https://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html It sounds like it's getting bad, so you need to start treatment quickly- read here: https://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin.html. Ivermectin is used on horses, so a farm supply store should have it, or you can order it on line. You also need to sex your pig, and here is that link (we like giving links here, LOL):https://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html Good luck, and feel free to ask any questions you have!

Welcome to the wonderful world of piggy ownership! Hopefully the other pig was adopted; that's what happened when I went to get Borat. He was with another pig at the shelter, and they told me his friend was literally adopted out right before I arrived.

If you post pictures here, I'm sure someone will be able to help you confirm the sex. I was told female by the shelter, but Borat turned out to be all boy (albeit with rather ambiguous genitals that caused a lot of debate on a thread here; I finally took him to an exotic vet). Shelters don't always give the best diet. Borat was getting pellets with seeds in them, but he soon learned that veggies are yummy.

What did you name your piggy? Do you have any pigtures? I'd love to see her. It sounds like she might have mites, which is fortunately easy to treat with invermectin.

[GuineaPigCages.com] Hello there, everyone.
No name yet, I've been waiting to make sure of the sex first. We've been calling her "Squeaker" (which is funny because she's the quietest pig ever) or just "Piggy," but I think I'd rather give her a more proper name.
[GuineaPigCages.com] Hello there, everyone.[GuineaPigCages.com] Hello there, everyone.
I think I'd be able to figure out the sex on my own if she didn't squirm so much when I try to check. I don't think I'd be able to take a picture of that at the moment, but maybe after treating for mites she will calm down and I/we can figure it out.
[GuineaPigCages.com] Hello there, everyone.[GuineaPigCages.com] Hello there, everyone.
As for the Ivermectin, any ideas where to get some... cheap-ish? We have a feed store locally, but it seems a waste to get a big bottle for cows when I would only need a few drops.

Oh, she's pretty-and she has a black bum! It's so cute!

Welcome to the forum. Your pig is very pretty. Love her coloring.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.