Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello, new here!

Cav2nv

Cavy Slave
Hi all you GP adorers out there! Just thought I'd pop on here and introduce myself. My name is Elissa and I live in Minnesota with my two daughters Morgan (age 3 1/2) and Mya (1 1/2) and my furry lil boy Cricket, a siamese mix. We will soon be aquiring our first piggies. I have started buying the supplies for a C&C cage, I have bought the grids and have a sheet of Coroplast on order to pick up at the end of the week. I got the Coroplast for $20, but its boring white (Colored was alot more expensive) but I can fix that pretty easily im sure. The enclosure im hoping will be 3x6 and would like to get 3 piggies! I had a Peruvian sow as a teenager whom I adored so much, would love to find another peruvian however they are hard to find around here from what I have seen. We only have one petstore in town (locally owned, not a chain store) and they usually have piggies, but have none at the moment. I searched petfinder and found a shelter about an hour south of me that took in 6 young ones recently, if they are still there after the cage is finished I will take a jaunt on down and look at them! And now im going to look around the forum and soak up more information and of course see everyone elses cuties!

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome! I love your name! Very close to mine :) You'll find a bunch of great info on here! Please adopt, even if you have to wait some time for pigs to come in to a shelter!

Cav2nv

Cavy Slave
Yes, very close spelling indeed.. do people tend to pronounce your name wrong too? lol Me..all the time! I have known a few people for years and still pronounce it wrong lol Oh well.. and yes I will be checking shelters first :)

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
All the time! It gets annoying! Spelling too! It can get pretty funny, though! You said you had a Peruvian, and I have a Peruvian now. We seem to have a few things in common lol
You could also check Craigslist when you have everything set up! People often have pigs in bad situations that need new homes on that site.

Last edited:

Cav2nv

Cavy Slave
Oh gosh ive been checking CL like a plague! It seems a few months ago when I was looking.. well just to look I guess at anything, there were tons of piggies..and now I cant even find one posting! However I did see one a state away with 3 babies and they melted my heart.. but too far away. In due time..I keep telling myself that. They will find me :)

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Oh gosh ive been checking CL like a plague! It seems a few months ago when I was looking.. well just to look I guess at anything, there were tons of piggies..and now I cant even find one posting! However I did see one a state away with 3 babies and they melted my heart.. but too far away. In due time..I keep telling myself that. They will find me :)

It is so true. In time, if you are patient, you'll find the perfect pigs to rescue. And, keep in mind, you can post on CL that you are looking to adopt and that you'll provide a wonderful home. Perhaps someone thinking of rehoming will respond. I was posting on Freecycle, just looking for cubes and supplies in anticipation of finding pigs to adopt and a lady contacted me. She had two sows and needed to rehome them due to a very severe health crisis in her family. I got them the next day. She hugged me and we both cried and said it was meant to be. It was fate that I got my gals that way. Then, wanting the opportunity to raise babies, I heard through my daughter's Facebook friend of an accidental litter and got two more baby girls !

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Wow...Duffinvt....that is really so cool how you came about finding all your lovely girls ! How special and "meant to be" is that ! It is so true isn't it, that "good things come to those who wait".....I wish I could say I was a really patient person...but I am one of those people who pray like... " Lord, I need patience and I need it RIGHT NOW !!" Heeheehee..

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
WELCOME !!

I love the name of your pretty kitty Cricket ! I just wanted to say "hello" and to welcome you to our community !! Like Duffinvt said, if you are patient, they WILL find you, and it will be well worth your wait to adopt or rescue !

GotPigs?

Cavy Slave
Welcome!

Have you checked Craigslist? There are always guinea pigs on CL in need of good homes. This is an old ad and I'm not sure how close it is to you but it might be worth checking into-

4 Female Guinea Pigs Looking For a Good Home

Good luck!

Cav2nv

Cavy Slave
Oh yes, patience isnt one of my good points.. but I think I can deal with it while im waiting for the perfect piggies needing homes. GotPigs? Yeah I only recently started checking CL for GP's... the ad you put up was over a month old and they left no phone number..for some reason I have never been able to email anyone on CL, its a horrible downfall for me looking on there because alot of people do not put up their phone numbers, then again I have never contacted CL to find out why there is always an error while trying to email. The days are going by sooo slow right now till the time I pick up the Coroplast..wish it would just be Thursday already so I can start building it and finish it. Thanks for all the welcomes too!

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
CL wont let me email threw craigslist either so I found a way around it!!
If you copy the "coded" craigslist email provided for the ad and past it where you would type in the person's email name, it will work just like a normal email!
So now you CAN email people on craigslist :) Hope this helped.
Oh, and welcome!

Cav2nv

Cavy Slave
Oh my gosh I never thought of doing that! Thanks for the tip! I will definately give that a try

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Go to CL click on pets. Once that page is loaded search "guinea" "pig" "pigs" all in separate searches and you should be able to find all the piggy ads. You can also search these terms in the regular search bar on your cities homepage. Some times people put them in the farm section too or other odd plaes.

Just be careful about breeders. No matter how nice a pet store or breeder looks the point is to not buy animals that were bred intentionally for the purpose of profit

Cav2nv

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the info..I saw in the other introduction post of another newbie you mentioned your location, thought I would reply on my own thread as to not hijack theres. I live an hour north of St Cloud.. the shelter there is actually the one I have been talking about that got in 6 piggies, Will probably be going down next weekend to take a look if they are still there.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
You know about petfinder, right? I'm not too sure about that shelter in regards to how frequently they update their adoptables on petfinder. You can always call and double check. I know they have had a few bonded pairs on there recently. I hope you can find a pair of piggies just right for you.

Your kitty is adorable. Is he nice too? When I was little I had a Siam and she was a B**ch and she threw temper tantrums which involved peeing and puking on my stuff. I have a very nice loving sweet kitty now which I am very glad for. I also have 2 young boys and 3 male guinea pigs. I guess I just am not much for males. Female cats and I have not gotten along, female kids when I was a kid, female guinea pigs... I like my boys. I'm the only female in my household and I don't mind.

Good luck finding a piggy!

Cav2nv

Cavy Slave
Yeah those piggies went up on petfinder from the shelter there just recently because they werent there the other day and all the sudden they were! :) My kitty is fabulous and is my therapy cat also as I suffer from anxiety attacks sometimes. I am very partial to the siamese breed and have never had a tempermental siamese, he has never used his claws on us and my 1 1/2 year old can pull his fur, ears, tail and lay on him and he wont do a thing, most laid back cat ever.. he isnt very vocal either, only when im getting his food ready

petlover1998

Cavy Slave
hi i'm new too! i was wondering where you get the coroplast? i want to make a cage but i have no idea where to get it.

Cav2nv

Cavy Slave
Depends, I got mine from a sign business (makes signs for buisnesses and such) I tried both Home Depot and Menards first and neither carried it.. so the first sign place I called was willing to sell me a sheet :) I read to make sure you let the sign place know you are using it for a cage as they may try to charge more if they think you are taking away any of their business.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.