Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello my name is Sarah

SarahmayGarland

Cavy Slave
Hello my name is Sarah. I am a student at Sumner Memorial High School in Sullivan, Maine. I am researching Guinea Pigs and I need help answering questions about them I am contacting you because you’re an expert on Guinea Pigs. If you could please answer these, it would be a great help. Thank you!

When did Guinea Pig start being domesticated ?

What places you can specifically find Guinea Pigs?

Why are there so many varieties of Guinea Pig ?

What do Guinea Pigs eat when domesticated versus when they're wild?

How do you tame a Guinea Pig?

What is the Guinea Pig’s behavior like when it's wild?

Thank again for the help :love:

Sincerely,

Sarah Reese

I can answer a few of them.

Question 2: In the wild you will find Guinea Pigs in various parts of South America. Domesticated ones are mainly bought in pet stores which nobody here supports, and many are beginning to look into rescue organisations which most people here do.

Question 4: Domestic Guinea Pigs...... Well, we humans control what they it. They will eat anything you put in front of them if they are healthy. Mainly Veggies and some Fruits. Veggies like Bell Pepper, mainly leaf lettuce (red/green leaf)

Question 5: You can't "tame" a Guinea Pig like you can a dog. Guinea Pigs generally don't act wild like a young dog. You can acclimate them to yourself and get them to like to be interacted with.
__

Hope I helped!

When did Guinea Pig start being domesticated ?
According to Wikipedia, they were first domesticated for meat in South America around 5,000 BC, and first seen by Europeans and adopted as pets instead of food in the 1500's AD.
What places you can specifically find Guinea Pigs?
In the wild, they live in the Andean region of South America, primarily Peru. Around here you can find them in most pet stores that sell live animals, as well as shelters and rescues, and some people breed them.
Why are there so many varieties of Guinea Pig ?
Same reason there are so many "varieties" of people...genetic diversity.
What do Guinea Pigs eat when domesticated versus when they're wild?
They tend to eat grass and other plants low enough to the ground for them to reach in the wild. Domesticated ones are usually fed dry grass hay, nutritional pellets, fruits and vegetables.
How do you tame a Guinea Pig?
You don't, really. lol You just care for it and treat it with love, and it will probably learn over time that you're not a big scary predator.
What is the Guinea Pig’s behavior like when it's wild?
Probably not too different...they roam around and eat grass and sleep. They're probably more inclined to be scared of humans, though. lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.