Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello! Meet Oatmeal and Cookie

zaylea

Cavy Slave
I got a pair of sows on Saturday. I'm not sure of their age, but I think they're pretty young. I'm taking them to an exotic vet just so he can see them when they're healthy, and maybe help me figure out their age. They seem to get along really well, and I suspect they're siblings. Cookie is very talkative and chubbles a lot. Oatmeal isn't as talkative, but is less shy and easier to handle. They were both startled the first time they heard my hermit crabs chirp. lol

Right now they're living in a pen on some fleece and dog pads, but next week they're getting a C&C cage (2x4 w/ 2x2 loft.) I've been giving them oxbow timothy pellets and hay, but I'm going to order some bluegrass from kleenmama because the timothy hay makes me sneeze. I might switch them to alfalfa pellets, depending on what the vet says.

Cookie on the left, and Oatmeal is on the right.

Hello! Meet Oatmeal and Cookie

They're look small so they must be pretty young. Cute names and cute piggies!

Hello and welcome! Very cute piggies!

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
Awwww! Best buds! Welcome to the forum.

They are little cutiepies!

They are adorable!! Welcome to the forum!!

Just a little update... I took them to the vet on Friday, and he thinks they're about 4 weeks old. Oatmeal actually has a URI and is on 2 antibiotics (some junk in her chest, and you can see on her front paw where it's snotty from wiping her nose), and Cookie's eye started getting a little crusty so she's on 1 antibiotic. He also thinks they have a vitamin C deficiency and I've been giving them a vitamin C syrup everyday (by mouth with a syringe.) They're really good sports about it and seem to enjoy the medicine. They're both been eating/drinking well the whole time (they won't eat fresh veggies yet though, just pellets and hay.)

You'll probably have to teach them to eat veggies. Start with red or green leaf lettuce, and chop it into very fine pieces, like a pencil eraser cut up into 6-8 bits. Sprinkle those on their pellets. They'll get enough by accident to get accustomed to the taste, and you can then feed it in larger pieces. When they do that, start the same thing with bell peppers. And then another veggie when they'll eat the peppers.

Don't overdo the pellets -- 1/8 of a cup each is enough. You don't want them to fill up on pellets and skimp on the hay and veggies -- pellets are the least important part of their diets.

Also try them on cilantro and dill -- most pigs love those.

Yeah, they only get 1/4 cup/day of pellets between the two of them. Cookie is sort of curious about the veggies but never bites. Shredding it up and putting on pellets is a great idea.

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.