Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello I would like to introduce Smores

Smores21202

Cavy Slave
20140805 182449 1 640x593

I would like to introduce you to Smores. She is a very sweet little piggy. We had to say goodbye to our golden retriever this Summer and just were not ready for another dog yet. Our daughter has always wanted a smaller pet, and we felt this was the perfect time for her to get one. We went to the pet store and she fell in love with a fluffy white female with graham cracker color around her head, and promptly names her S'mores. Once we were set up (we used the cage advice on this site) we brought her home. I can't believe how much fun this little girl is. She adores my daughter and I, but has not quite warmed up to my husband. He really tries and is very gentle with her, but I guess she needs more time to accept him. We are going to be getting another piggy very soon. I wanted to make sure I could find somewhere that would take good care of them when we were out of town, etc. The kennel that used to provide such loving care to our golden retriever also takes piggies, so we can feel good about taking family vacations.

I look forward to meeting everyone!

Portal_Corgi

Cavy Slave
Soooo cute! I love the name too, it fits her perfectly.

Smores21202

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I was so surprised at the sweetness of her! She gives kisses (with her tongue) and is so snuggly. We just love her :)

jayval

Cavy Slave
Are you holding her already? We have had ours for 5 days and things are going very slow...She doesn't even come out of her hidey...

RockieGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
Are you holding her already? We have had ours for 5 days and things are going very slow...She doesn't even come out of her hidey...

Give it time. She will come around sooner or later.
If it helps, take out the hideys from her cage so she feels more comfortable out in the open. My two boars don't even have hideys in their cage, but this is due to it being too small for one as it takes up a lot of room. Hopefully I get to expand their cage eventually!

jayval

Cavy Slave
If it helps, take out the hideys from her cage so she feels more comfortable out in the open. My two boars don't even have hideys in their cage, but this is due to it being too small for one as it takes up a lot of room. Hopefully I get to expand their cage eventually!

BY the way, yours is adorable!! An abby, correct? Angelina is an Abby too. She is 9 weeks old, and very small. Good News! I just went in her hidey hut and kept petting her. She didn't run :)

Smores21202

Cavy Slave
We have had her for about 2 months now. We held her from day one. She did not try to get away so we just stroked her really gently and then put her back in her cage so she could go in her pigloo if she wanted to. She stayed in her pigloo most of the time for about 1 month and then she started coming out more and more. Now she will come right to us and even climb up my shirt and sit on my shoulder! She purrs and is just really a happy piggy! Yours will do the same. They just need an adjustment period.

Angelina is super cute too!

Smores21202

Cavy Slave
I should say that everyone's is super cute! I love how unique each one is in coloring and hair. To be honest, I really did not expect to love these little guys so much. I figured they just roamed around and ate. I wanted my daughter to have a special friend, but truth be told, I love her just as much :) They are so social and playful even. Can't wait to get her a friend.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forum! Smores is adorable!

janinehunt

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
[MENTION=19543]jayval[/MENTION], please don't take the hideys out of her cage. She will be even more scared. Five days is nothing. It can take months for a pig to warm up to you, and most will always run for their lives when you try to pick them up. She would probably be happier and less fearful with a guinea pig friend.

S'mores is gorgeous! So glad you'll be getting her a friend!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Leave the hideys in. But catch her at least once a day, if not twice, and put her on your lap. Feed her treats -- part of her veggies for the day, a bit of fruit, some herbs, whatever. The way to a guinea pig's heart is through its stomach, and the more she sees you as the bringer of good food, the better she's going to like you.