Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello All!

cspice2

Cavy Slave
Hi,

My name is Carole and I am (we) are new cavy owners. We bought Charlotte at around noon on Saturday and returned 2 hours later and purchased Minnie. They are pets for my 9-year old, but they are so adorable, I'm hooked.

We are getting used to them and they are getting used to us. I'm wondering though, how long it takes for them to trust? Everytime we get close they scatter. Minnie seems less skittish than Charlotte, but they are still very nervous when we get close to the cage. Any ideas For getting them to get comfy with us would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

ILoveMillie

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! You can start off by sitting next to their cage and talking to them! When I first got my guinea pig I sat next to her cage for about an hour and just talked to her. Also hand feeding is another really good way to get your guinea pigs to trust you. I have had my guinea pig for a little over a year and I still hand feed her some of her veggies every day.

It takes time for them to become less skittish around you so you just have to have patience. It's not that they don't like you, it's just they think that you are trying to eat them right now :) Soon they will know the sound of your voice (and the sound of the refrigerator opening :) ) and they will be squeaking at their cage bars for you!

Again, welcome to the forum and please post some pigtures of your new piggies! I LOVE their names by the way! :)

cspice2

Cavy Slave
Awww.... I can't wait for them to recognize us and show that they are happy to see us. Thanks for the advice!

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome! It does take time for them to trust you but it's so worth it! Hope you can post some pigtures soon:D!

arionat799

Cavy Slave
My piggy Ginger was friendly from the start! But from what I've read, like the previous post said, you can hand feed them and sit next to their cage talking to them at first. If you put your hand in and they run, do NOT take it back out, as they will associate them running away to you leaving them alone. Hopefully they will warm up to you in time, and just remember, don't ever think that they just don't like you! All guinea pigs tame at a different pace. Just give them time:) GOOD LUCK!!

cspice2

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much! I'm really glad I found this forum. We are looking forward to bonding with them. I will take some pigtures soon! As soon as they settle down long enough for a pic. ;)

cspice2

Cavy Slave
Pigtures of Minnie & Charlotte. Charlotte is white & tan, Minnie is brown w/white.
Thanks!