Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello All

HarelyQ

Cavy Slave
My name is Robin and I have 3 kids, 3 dogs and 3 piggies. I had introduced myself in April but then I had an unfortunate event happen that made it impossible to get on to the computer until recently.
When I first came to the boards, I had only Shyloh and was in the process of looking for a buddy to adopt for him. That is when I got Squidgee. They got along really well with each other after the quarantine period and have been happily living in a 2x5 C&C cage.
The local SPCA phoned me and asked if I could possibly take a Guinea pig that was dropped off because they had no room for him at all. Of course I couldn't resist and now I have "Big E" coming out of quarantine. I will be starting introductions tomorrow but I have to admit I am extremely nervous because Big is so much bigger then my other 2 (hence the name Big E).
I am going to be expanding my cage again here soon to a 2x7, would that be enough room for 3 boys?

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
Welcome!

The actual recommended size for three guinea pigs is a 2X5. They do say though that it's much better to house males in bigger cages. So, anything bigger than 2X5 should be perfect. Just make sure to read through introduction theads so you know how to do it correctly. Also, make sure you have enough pigloos and hidey houses so everyone can get away from eachother if they want their own time. :) Just remember that the bigger you can go with the cage, the better!

I actually have been looking for a friend for my GP Mocha for a few months. I did actually find her some friends, and even though she's in a 2X5, I'll probably upgrade also. I've just been so used to one pig in that cage, that I almost feel it's unfair to add more without expanding. lol

I hope everything goes smoothly introducing Big E!

Shurrim

Cavy Slave
Welcome and good luck with the new boy :)

SkinnyPiggy

Cavy Slave
Hi Robin
Welcome Back :)
Glad you can help out your local SPCA !
2'5 is the minimum requirement for three piggers so 2'7 should be great.
Are either of your pigs overly dominant? If not Big E should do fine during introductions.
Just make sure you do it on neutral, followed by a full cage cleaning.

Glad to have you back:)

Cavy Castle

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Glad you are back. We would love to see pictures. Hint hint. ;)

cam767

Cavy Slave
Welcome back! I love the name Big E, but what does the E stand for? Curiosity got me. hehe I agree with Cavy Castle. Pics please! We LOVE to see pics. :)

HarelyQ

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.

Skinny- the Squidgee is a bit more aggressive than Shyloh but I think that might be because he is only 9 months.

Cam- When I first saw Big E my exact words were " Wow, you are sure a biggie" Then after observing him I found out he is very easy going, docile and seems to not have a care in the world. He then became the big easy, LOL. Big E was just shorter and it suits him.

I have around 2 more hours then the intros will begin :crazy: I am telling myself everything will be fine and it will go smoothly. Crossing my fingers that they will be able to get along.

Here are pics of my little munchkins. ( Hopefully I do this right)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

HarelyQ

Cavy Slave
First is Big E, then Shyloh and Squidgee.

Hollyberries008

Cavy Slave
Welcome back! Very cute piggies!!! Good luck on the intro's!

SkinnyPiggy

Cavy Slave
Hopefully the intros will go good. Since you only have one aggressive pig, hopefully your two docile pigs will be okay with the youngest taking the lead.

cam767

Cavy Slave
Cam- When I first saw Big E my exact words were " Wow, you are sure a biggie" Then after observing him I found out he is very easy going, docile and seems to not have a care in the world. He then became the big easy, LOL. Big E was just shorter and it suits him.

That's really cool how he got his name. Love it! lol He really does look laid back, too.

They are all so cute! I hope intros go well. Keep us updated.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Is Big E the long haired one? I love the coloring on his face.

HarelyQ

Cavy Slave
Well, 4 hours into introductions and it isn't going to bad, but there is a lot of chasing, nipping, rumble strutting and such. No blood, so that is a good thing. I have totally cleaned out their cage and all the things that go into it.

Should I put them into the cage or wait a bit longer?

Deb's- Big E is the top picture. Squidgee is the long hair one.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
I'm glad intros are going well. Have a towel on hand so that if any serious squabbles break out you can toss it onto the fighters. It momentarily confuses them and you can separate them for safety's sake. ;)

You have really cute pigs. :)

I think you should separate the pigs for a little bit, maybe an hour or two, and give them a break, then intro them again. If all seems well, put them in the cage together.

Good luck!

SkinnyPiggy

Cavy Slave
After four hours their still doing this?
I would wait it out maybe another half an hour, then try them in there cage but keep checking on them.

SkinnyPiggy

Cavy Slave
I would wait it out maybe another half an hour, then try them in there cage but keep checking on them.

From what I've read its not recommended to keep reintroducing them. I'll try and find the thread.

HarelyQ

Cavy Slave
I am happy to report, things have calmed down and they are in their cage :) When they first went in the cage it got a bit dicey, but then calmed down pretty quick. Every so often I can hear rumbling and a few wheeks but all in all, I am calling it a success.

I even caught Squidgee and Big E cuddling.......

picture.php

picture.php

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
Great news! Glad to hear things have calmed down. They're all so cute and squishable!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.