Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Cool Heatwave in the UK. Worries about our piggies please help!

piggyandpepi

Cavy Slave
Hi,

My room is currently 27.9c (82.22f).

I have the curtains closed to keep the sun out, two large windows open, and the door open with a fan blowing around the room for air circulation.

One of our piggies is pregnant we think also.

We put a frozen water bottle in a sock in their C&C cage, but they don't bother to sit near it.

What can I do? It's so hot and we are worried, as from what I've read, 24c should be the max.

Also, there is nowhere cooler in the house :(

Hello :) I'm from the uk also.

It seems like you've done pretty much everything you can do! another thing is making ice lollies for them, with frozen water and cucumber or their favorite vegetable in it frozen so they can have a gook lick at it if they wish :)

They'll be fine!!!

below is a link if you scroll down the page it shows you how to make some :D

(broken link removed)

Also if you buy some nice watermelon and put it in the fridge before you give them it it'll be a nice refreshing snack!! with lots of water :)

Try a ice pack instead of a water bottle, also cover it a tea towel/sock, they can sit on it then, my piggies seem to love them, also try cold veg and fruit.

Watermelon is high in sugar and loaded with water so limit the amount you feed. Cucumber can cause gas so same thing. I think the covered ice pack is a good idea and give them cold water in their water bottle.

Watermelon is high in sugar and loaded with water so limit the amount you feed. Cucumber can cause gas so same thing. I think the covered ice pack is a good idea and give them cold water in their water bottle.

you can say that about every fruit and veg. Thats why i wrote snack :) Guineas need their fruit and veg, but you have to limit what you give them, obviously But if its hot weather, water melon would be the ideal treat to give them. obviously not a whole slice but its using common sense on what to give the piggies. :)

;)I use Icepacks with a small fan blowing over them. I also have a ceramic tile he can lay on if he wants too.

you can say that about every fruit and veg. Thats why i wrote snack :) Guineas need their fruit and veg, but you have to limit what you give them, obviously But if its hot weather, water melon would be the ideal treat to give them. obviously not a whole slice but its using common sense on what to give the piggies. :)

I agree that it is a matter of common sense but not everyone knows not to feed a lot of fruits and that certain vegetables can cause bloat in excess. Not all vegetables are loaded with water. Steer clear of head lettuce because that's one that has little nutrition and loads of water. The diet and nutrition charts outline which are the best choices. I rarely feed fruits and choose most veggies that are listed as those can be fed every day.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.