Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is it Safe? Heat lamp?

gpihgos

Cavy Slave
I leave my windows in my room open almost 24/7m which means it can get kinda cold during the winter. I am considering getting a heat lamp for them. Plus, the area where they are in my room gets zero natural light, since it is behind a window. Would this be a good or bad idea?

I assume we're talking about haired guinea pigs, not skinnies?

Depends on how cold your room gets. But a heat lamp and a light that mimics natural sunlight are two different things.

Guinea pigs do better with cold rather than hot. But you certainly don't want them in a draft or an especially cold area. You could try draping one end of the cage with a blanket to give them a warmer area to escape to. Or you could get a heating mat designed for reptile enclosures that puts the heat under the cage rather than a light shining at them. Those may have thermostats on them so you can control the heat, or you can raise the cage as needed to keep it from getting too warm. You can also get a smaller pad than their sleeping area, which lets them choose whether they want a warm spot or a cooler one.

I assume we're talking about haired guinea pigs, not skinnies?

Depends on how cold your room gets. But a heat lamp and a light that mimics natural sunlight are two different things.

Guinea pigs do better with cold rather than hot. But you certainly don't want them in a draft or an especially cold area. You could try draping one end of the cage with a blanket to give them a warmer area to escape to. Or you could get a heating mat designed for reptile enclosures that puts the heat under the cage rather than a light shining at them. Those may have thermostats on them so you can control the heat, or you can raise the cage as needed to keep it from getting too warm. You can also get a smaller pad than their sleeping area, which lets them choose whether they want a warm spot or a cooler one.
No, they aren't skinnies. Also, I really only have my windows open in the winter, because I enjoy the cold. It can get close to 0 farenhiet where I live. Plus, it gets super dark where they are kept. I don't think it would be a bad idea. I think my main motivation was to get a light, with some added bonus for them.