Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rehoming Heart torn and confused, should I rehome?

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Thank you for reading this post. I am really torn on what I should do. I am thinking of rehoming my two girls. To be honest I never considered getting a guinea pig but when I found out my friend was keeping a lone girl in the closet I couldn't just leave her. Learning piggys need a friend I adopted another female that was just abandoned with no information. At first it was fun caring for them, upgraded their cages, introducing them together and buying all the best in fleece bedding and hideys.
Now it has just gotten to be too much. My husband doesn't like them and considers them useless pets since he can barely pet them. He also resents them since we are unable to adopt a dog (his dream) because of them. I usually am the main caretaker but work has me traveling more and I just recently got back from a month trip. He still took care of them but I feel bad as it is not his responsibility. I also am not spending as much time with them as I should. They use to get out every day for floor time and now it is every other day. I don't sit with them during floor time anymore and only hold them for nail trims. I just feel like they should be with someone who will give them more time. I still clean their cage once a day, refill hay and feed fresh veg.

Thoughts? Or ideas on how I can be more motivated to care for them?

sherri86

Cavy Slave
All I can say is do what your heart tells you to do. If it is causing tension in your household "husband considers them useless" "husband resents them" and you travel a lot, they might be better off in another home. The decision has to be yours though .. as I am only going off of what I can read your in your post.

wishing you and your pigs the best
:)

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your feedback, we realized it wasn't just the girlies and other things causing tension in the relationship. So I am happy to say they are staying with me. My one skiddish girl is letting me pet her now so I am happy with my choice :)

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Very, very glad to hear your girls are staying in your home. Thanks for posting an update.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.