Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection Head tilt- possible ear infection

MadrigalsRule

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig, Cinnamon, has developed a head tilt. It isn't severe looking and it seemed to be disappearing today. I have yet to bring her to her first vet visit as I'm having a hard time finding the best ones near me. She also seems to be losing her balance a lot, but she's eating totally normally and acting normally. There's no buildup/discharge from her ear or anything and she doesn't really do much when I touch her ears. She also passed the eye test thing, with both her eyes blinking when my fingers got close. Should I bring her to a vet just in case?
There is two possible good vets in my area but it's Saturday and only one is open on Sunday, while the other is only open Monday-Saturday. What do you suggest about visiting days? Would I be able to wait out and see how she is tomorrow, going to the vet Monday, or should I just go tomorrow? She's only been showing symptoms for two days (my mom's trying to wait it out and see progress).

This was kind of long, but I'm pretty new to this and need help, I haven't had medical issues with a guinea pig before!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If I could only find an ER vet tomorrow that doesn't know anything about guinea pigs, and I could see a good exotic vet on Monday, I'd wait. But if the skill of the vets is about the same, I'd go tomorrow. It does sound like an inner ear infection, and there wouldn't be any discharge from that. But the quicker you treat it, the more likely she is to totally recover.

MadrigalsRule

Cavy Slave
If I could only find an ER vet tomorrow that doesn't know anything about guinea pigs, and I could see a good exotic vet on Monday, I'd wait. But if the skill of the vets is about the same, I'd go tomorrow. It does sound like an inner ear infection, and there wouldn't be any discharge from that. But the quicker you treat it, the more likely she is to totally recover.

They both appear to be of similar levels. I checked out the reviews of both of them. In case you might want to look them up and help, they are:
Carrots & Catnip : it's open tomorrow, here's a link to the site: (broken link removed)
Old Country Animal Clinic: Open Monday, https://www.oldcountryanimalclinic.com/

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.