Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Won't Eat Veggies he wont eat anything!

kendalm7

Cavy Slave
he wont eat any veggies or fruit:( i don't know what do to! he only likes his pellets and hay! i try so many times he snips it with his teeth then could care less about it and runs away from it:9 he wont eat it:/ please help! i tried cutting small peaces up into his food and he just avoids it and then it just makes the pellets soggy:( help?

How long have you had him and how old is he? Is he a single piggy? If they've never been exposed to the food previously it can be difficult to get them to eat fresh food. Try just keeping the fresh in the cage in a separate place, perhaps near where he spends a lot of time but not in the food bowl to keep the rest fresh. Also try various different things, I'm not sure what you've offered but when it comes to picky piggies like that the turning point is just getting them to eat one fresh thing. If you haven't tried fresh grass yet that might be a starting point.

If he's a lone piggy you might want to look into getting him a friend (preferably another male unless you plan to get someone fixed). If you get another who's fine with fresh food it may help convince your little skeptic guy to start eating the fresh stuff, even if just not to miss out. Not to mention having a friend is good for them anyway.

Small pieces of what cut up into his food? For starters, you don't want to use anything that's very juicy. In the second place, just put a small amount of pellets in the dish -- there's no point in filling the dish while you're teaching him to eat things, as you'll just wind up throwing stuff away.

You want only one vegetable at a time -- I'd start with bell peppers. Dice some up very fine -- think about a pencil eraser in 8-10 pieces. You want it so small that he can't pick it out, and that he'll eat it without noticing it. Do that a couple of times a day for a week or so, and then offer it to him in a larger piece. Don't feed him any other vegetables or fruit during that time.

Try that and let us know how he gets along.

How many pellets are you feeding him? And how old is he?

My newest piggie (Skidder) came to us recently and the previous owner said he was about a year old. He had never had anything other than pet store pellets and hay. My two other boys are veggie fanatics but Skidder actually runs away from any veggies we put near him! For the past 3 days, I've put very, very small pieces of carrot in with his pellets. Today, he is actually eating the bits of carrot! We tried to hand feed him some but he ran from it. He's eating carrot from the dish so I call that progress!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.