Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions He Wants To Introduce Them All!!!

BestGuineaPigs

Cavy Slave
I have four guinea pigs. Two boys and two girls. My dad wants me to give them all an hour a day to play altogether. I don't want that because I heard that the boys will fight for the girls. I tried to tell him this, but he says that my boys won't do this. Please help!!! :sad:

Shelbz

Cavy Slave
Firstly, if the boys aren't both altered, you cannot put them together: the girls will get pregnant. It takes less than three seconds for a male to impregnate a female.

I don't think it's 100% guaranteed that they would fight in an hour, though the chances of bickering and fighting are far more likely. If you're worried, I would sit him down and explain that in the wild, one male pig would fight for the privilege of living (and mating) with a group of females- putting two males with two females will naturally make the two males more competitive, and it is putting them at greater risk. The same is said here: http://guineapigconnection.typepad.com/pig_notes/2007/03/myth_1_male_gui/comments/page/2/

If he won't see reason in any way, and there's no convincing him (I don't know why it's so important they all go together- can you not suggest putting them in separate enclosures? Where do they normally have floor time?), I would monitor closely and keep a towel handy at all times in case of fighting. This is ONLY if the boys are both neutered, of course.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Unless the boys are fixed, your bigger issue isn't fighting. The boys will impregnate the girls.

BestGuineaPigs

Cavy Slave
They are not altered. I m trying to tell him this, and he says I can just push them away when they do this.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Nope, you can't push them away in time. If they are in-tact (non-altered), do not put them together. Pregnancy can be very difficult on a female pig's body. If there are complications, the sow, the pups or both could die.

What is the reason he wants them to play together so badly?

Shelbz

Cavy Slave
He CANNOT DO that. Putting unaltered boars with females WILL result in pregnancy. The second you see them mounting a female- the female is probably pregnant. It will happen too quickly for him to stop. If he doesn't realize this or seems reluctant to accept this, it sounds like he's intentionally breeding them. You need to refer him to this thread if possible.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
To be fair, pregnancy is not instantaneous and the sow has to be in heat for the pregnancy to occur but you do not want to take that chance.

I agree with [MENTION=28867]Shelbz[/MENTION] that it sounds like he is well aware that it may result in pregnancy. He might be trying to trick you into letting it happen by telling you to let them to "play together".

I'm curious about how you ended up with both males and females in the first place? Was he the one who brought them home? If so, it sounds like this may have been his plan all along. Of course, without knowing the situation, this is all speculation but it's something to think about.

ShadeyPig

Cavy Slave
Yep you will have fights or pups. How old are you? And what does your other parent say about this?

Traysea

Cavy Slave
I wonder if you do put them all together and they start fighting if they will no longer be able to live together in their cage. They might keep fighting after "play time" is over.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Does you dad want you to breed them? That's not a good idea. There are so many homeless guinea pigs already, there's no reason to breed more. You'd also be putting the mother's life at risk. It's not worth it. Do you have two separate cages for them now?

BestGuineaPigs

Cavy Slave
Okay, thank you so much. I sat him down and talked about it, and he agreed not to do it. He was just trying to be nice and wanted them all to be happy. Thank you! :)

BestGuineaPigs

Cavy Slave
Also, he does NOT want to breed them! He doesn't want anymore guinea pigs. I had to beg him to get my boy a friend. He does NOT want pups

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
He doesn't want any more pigs? What did he think would happen if males and females played together?

BestGuineaPigs

Cavy Slave
He thought we could push them apart, which now he knows that it would be very hard.

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave
Well congrats on convincing!!!!! Now I just need to convince MY dad that I want a guinea pig.....yeesh....

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.