Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Troubles

kourt1313

Cavy Slave
I need some ideas on better hay storage in my piggies cage. I currently have two hay racks, but my boars make a huge mess, pulling the hay out, getting it all over their cage, being typical pigs, then of course laying in it. But it makes cleanup really difficult and it's getting all over my carpet and into little nooks and crannies in my room. Anyone have any tips for more tidy hay storage?

Thank you =)

Try a utensil holder from Bed Bath and Beyond! It is amazing. I put it in a pie dish to collect fallen hay.

(broken link removed)

Ya know I've been seeing that idea thrown around and was wondering what that was! Works pretty well huh? I think I'm leaning towards that...

I had a similar issue, as well as a HUGE pile of hay behind my cage! I made a hay loft and made the coroplast wall huge in the back. This works for me.
[GuineaPigCages.com] Hay Troubles

I had a similar issue, as well as a HUGE pile of hay behind my cage! I made a hay loft and made the coroplast wall huge in the back. This works for me.
View attachment 20910

Oh I like that!! Hmm, I may have to haul out the creative skills this weekend...

Mine looks like TCTrun's above, except that mine is on the floor level and the little wall is maybe 2 inches high, so they have to hop over and leave the hay behind... :) I use a basket like this
one:

Redirect Notice

It hooks on to the side and I found it at Home Depot. My pigs like to lay under it too.

I have had a LOT of setups, and that one has worked the best for me. The coroplast behind it is essential.

You guys got me inspired. I had built a hay trough out of wood and it worked okay until the girls decided it would be fun to move it around and knock over. I went to the Real Canadian Superstore today and bought a "PC chunky suction large hanging tray". I wish I knew how to get pictures on here and I would show you. I removed the suction cups and zip tied to one of the grids. The girls can pull hay through the bars or eat it from the top. I think it will work well and it holds lots of hay.

I think I know the type of thing you are talking about. That's a great idea. I'm redecorating tomorrow so we'll see what happens.

im also been wondering about thins. i have a toilet paper holder from walmart in mine and my girl likes to put it all out. (Its not the typical toilet paper holder)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.