Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Hay stuck in the eye

hydrohoki

Cavy Slave
I'm sure there are threads on this somewhere but I wasn't able to find them with a "hay in eye" search.

One of my pigs got a piece of hay stuck in her eye sometime yesterday. It was weepy and a little crusty when I got home (and noticed). I could see the hay so we got it out late last night (it was in an inch and a half long). Today her eye is more open and a little less cloudy but it's still cloudy.

I have eye drops (guinea pig appropriate from the rescue) that I put in this morning. I'm going to call the vet when they open and see what they say too.

So, the dilemma is that we got 4 inches of snow (a lot for this area) and it's coming down hard. I would take her in on a normal day, but is it worth the risk of getting stuck in the snow today with one of my guinea pigs?

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
Yup, went through it with my Teddy. Look under my posts, I gave a detail account. Best of luck! Eye injuries are apinful and potentially serious, I would get it checked when you are safely able to.

hydrohoki

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I got an appointment for 9:20am tomorrow, hopefully they'll be open.

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
Let us know how it went. :)

hydrohoki

Cavy Slave
Couldn't make it, the roads are pure ice. The eye is looking better though. I leave tomorrow but the caretaker is a pig pro who can take her in.

See can now see a carrot coming :)

hydrohoki

Cavy Slave
YAY!! Here's an update before I fight the airports.

Starbuck has:
-no swelling
-no crustiness
-no redness
-no cloudiness
and she attempted to push her cagemate off the loft today. She must be feeling like her old self :). We're still going to keep a close eye on it (pun intended).

Thanks!

hydrohoki

Cavy Slave
Oh! I completely forgot to update. With prescription eyedrops from the vet (which seemed to really hurt Starbuck, poor kid) and a few days of being very pathetic unless veggies were near, the eye healed perfectly. I'm so grateful!

Thanks for all the advice.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.