Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Hay stuck in eye?

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
Hey guys.
I just got home for spring break, and yesterday my mom said Calypso's eye seemed irritated like something was stuck. She wiped her eye with a warm wet rag and waited to see if it'd be fine.
Well like I said I just got home and looked at her and her eye is a bit smaller, cloudy, and reddish. I gently pulled her eyelid back and can see a piece of hay stuck behind her retina a bit, but I have no idea how to go about getting it out. I need ideas asap. We can take her into the regular vet (not exotic) tomorrow if they have an opening. No guaranteeing they will.
Could we use a saline solution an attempt to flush it?
She is acting normally besides the eye, wheeking, cuddling, etc.

Got the piece of hay out. It was shaped like a split end :( Her eye is obviously still irritated, and we will call the vet in the am and see what they think about it. The only vet for cavies near me is not open on saturdays, whereas the one that's for dogs/cats but says they treat cavies, just dont specialize in them, is open on saturdays.

You think she'll be ok til monday afternoon/evening for a visit since its now at least out of her eye? If I can;t get her in tomorrow...

They have 5 days a week to choose to get sick/injured, and its always a friday night :(

I hate it when this happens. The vet will do a 'dye test' to see if any part of the eye has been scratched, if it has they'll prescribe some drops, if not, just keep an eye on it and you might have to flush it out with saline (I prefer lukewarm water tbh) get the vet to show you how to do that.

Thanks guys. Hopefully I can get in tomorrow, although its rare to get in same day. Hopefully she'll be ok til Monday if it comes to that. It feels like its not risk of losing her eye serious but I don't want it to get there either.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.