Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Racks

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
The other day I found an extra grid, so I bent it and created a hay rack. It looks nice and keeps the hay from getting everywhere, but the pigs won't eat out of it. They are foraging through the bedding to get to pieces on the ground. So this morning I put some hay on the ground and they dove into it and ate like mad. Should I stop using the hay rack and leave hay on the floor? Or will they get used to it? I want them to eat as much hay as they want.

I have bent my grid this way and that way, up or down sideway and whatnot. I hate them all. 5 Minutes after I put it in the rack it all ends up on the floor anyway. I;m sure they are pulling the hay through the grid openings, thats how it ends up on the floor. When you put the hay in the rack what do they do? Do they run over and start nibbling at the rack?

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
I don't like hay racks. Pigs like to burrow, eat and sleep in the hay so keep it on the floor

My pigs love the hay rack - Sally likes to stand on her hind legs to get the hay on the top (also known as the 'good stuff'). I made a ledge out of coroplast for the bottom of the rack to catch the really small pieces of hay (from the side, it looks like a checkmark). Some of it still gets around the cage, but much less than before.

I have a hay loft, that way they can burry and such, but not as much mess.

pennick said:
I have bent my grid this way and that way, up or down sideway and whatnot. I hate them all. 5 Minutes after I put it in the rack it all ends up on the floor anyway. I;m sure they are pulling the hay through the grid openings, thats how it ends up on the floor. When you put the hay in the rack what do they do? Do they run over and start nibbling at the rack?
This is the hay rack. I secured it using the heavy duty zip ties and it is about 4" from the bottom of the cage. They just won't touch the hay that's up there.

[GuineaPigCages.com] Hay Racks

[GuineaPigCages.com] Hay Racks

I have a bent hay rack only on the bottom level of one of my cages, because I have fleece. He has a 1x3 loft which is always FULL of Kleenmama's bluegrass or Timothy, so he has a choice. He likes the choice really, usually picks to go up the ramp... But if he's lazy... The hay does tend to go faster if there is a big pile, but pigs love the piles so much better.

My guineas actually don't like to use the bent grids as hay racks. They just end up taking it all out and dumping it all over the place. I have now switched to a little corner grid (commonly used for shelves in bathroom corners) that I picked up for about $1. The holes in it are about half the size as the cage grids and now they eat out of it with barely no mess at all. I personally love the hay rack because I cannot afford to be constantly giving them fresh hay, because they have soiled what I already gave them. One bag of hay is now lasting me at least twice as long as before.

Poohbear said:
Yes and if I am not there they could break a leg.
Does mine look dangerous? I don't think they would jump up there. I would gladly take it down.

I cut out two pieces of coroplast and ziptied one to each side of my grid hayrack. I still haven't take a pic yet...I will later today :).

I believe that my hay rack has solved this problem of worrying about piggies legs getting caught in the rack. Since my rack is actually a shelving grid that is meant to fit into a corner, it turned into a cone when I bent it, and there is absolutely no way for my piggies to climb into it.

I actually found a picture of it in my old cage picture. It is in the loft:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/data/507/1333digital_camera_020-med.jpg

I have a little wire basket I got as a hay rack, I put hay in there and have it over flow all over the loft, that way my boys can pick which way to eat it.Atticus and chewie tend to jump into it but they stand on the hay and have never gotten cought.

I posted a pic of my hayrack in my gallery if anyone is interested.

My pig loves the hay rack and I let him burrow in the paper bag i put in there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.