Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Hay racks; Hay bags; what do you do?

schavarry

Cavy Slave
Well the other day I saw a bag of popsicles and thought "those might make a good hay rack" but then my brain argued "well yeah, but what if the piggy chews on it?!" And the little voices in my head have continued to argue for the past few days. Could/would you make a hay rack out of popsicle sticks? Aside from bending grids and siuet bird feeder things (my gps hate that thing) what do you use for a hay rack? Is it worth the time and effort to make a hay bag? Or should I just stick with the hay being in the "kitchen" and clean it out constantly because they pee and poo in it?! I would still give them their brown paper bags with hay to play in because they love it but I'd like to not waste ALL the hay I put in their cages...Well, what's your two cents? :confused:

I use plastic, triangle shaped corner litter boxes for hay bins. I velcro them onto the corner of the cage. I put a thin layer of shredded paper on the bottom and fill with hay. The paper is to absorb urine if the pee in there to make it easy to clean out. Works great for me. Sometimes, they crawl in it but it keep the rest of the cage neat. I added one grid above it, in the corner, because if they climb in it, they're closer to the top and I don't want any of them leaping out.

I just throw a lump of hay in the cage. I found that this lets them eat more hay, they also love it, because they are able to play and lay in the hay. The love to make tunnels through the hay and run through it. I've tried hay racks before, but they won't even eat from them.

I too have had issues with hay racks. so many options to use but in the end what works for you and your piggies. Just try different things.:crazy: If they want the hay they will eat it.

I also don't like to waste the hay. I use the bag and hay idea for fun floor time only. I use a grid in the corner of the kitchen area. I just did it last night though so give me a couple of days.

[GuineaPigCages.com] Hay racks; Hay bags; what do you do?

This is the hay rack I'm currently using. The piggies really like it and it holds a TON of hay! I've tried just piles of hay and that was way too messy. I've tried the utensil holder and it just didn't hold enough hay. I have also tried a litter box with hay and that was also very messy.

View attachment 24430

This is the hay rack I'm currently using. The piggies really like it and it holds a TON of hay! I've tried just piles of hay and that was way too messy. I've tried the utensil holder and it just didn't hold enough hay. I have also tried a litter box with hay and that was also very messy.

Just a grate tied on at an angle?

I do what Inle_Rabbit does with a grid. I just use two zip ties to hook it onto the cage. It holds lots of hay, is easy for the pigs to pull the hay out of, and keeps clean and fresh. I tried just putting hay in a pile on the floor before, using a small store-bought hay bin, and using a hay box. I didn't like keeping it on the floor or in a box because they went potty all over it and it just got trampled around the whole cage. The store-bought hay bins are tiny and won't hold much hay at all. As far as the popsicle stick hay bin goes, I think I would have to see it! Are you thinking about just gluing the sticks together and tying it to the side? I guess I'm not sure what exactly you meant?

DOH! I meant grid but typed grate... my brain sometimes :rolleyes:

I do what Inle_Rabbit does with a grid. I just use two zip ties to hook it onto the cage. It holds lots of hay, is easy for the pigs to pull the hay out of, and keeps clean and fresh.
Be careful with the grid if you have younger pigs; I used to use a grid for a hay rack until last week, when Kwee managed to poke her head inside one of the grid squares and get stuck. I had to cut the grid from the cage and bring her to the couch to try and get her out, and she was screaming the whole time. This was the standard 9x9 grid, mind you, not one of the larger holes.

I got (broken link removed) hay rack from PetSmart. It is kind of messy though, beings it is filled from outside of the cage and often hay slips out from underneath it. Though it is very effective for Ginger. She loves it, and now i find myself re-filling it all the time. Before I got it, she never even touched her hay!

[GuineaPigCages.com] Hay racks; Hay bags; what do you do?

Though for floor time I am contemplating using a hay bag. (Paper bag stuffed with hay lol)

Be careful with the grid if you have younger pigs; I used to use a grid for a hay rack until last week, when Kwee managed to poke her head inside one of the grid squares and get stuck. I had to cut the grid from the cage and bring her to the couch to try and get her out, and she was screaming the whole time. This was the standard 9x9 grid, mind you, not one of the larger holes.

Thanks for the tip. My girls are older (3 & 4). I think i am going to try the pan 1st and if I do not like it go the the grid. I fill they hay 3 or more times a day, but I dont stuff it because they wont eat the parts at the bottom lol, picky girls!:silly:

Yes it is. I tied it one square up from the floor and four squares out. I backed it with coroplast and the other side is blocked with coroplast too so that the hay stays in the cage and not on my floor. :cool:

As @Mastershroom said a baby piggie could get his head stuck. My 4 are all adults so I have no worries.

I didn't like keeping it on the floor or in a box because they went potty all over it and it just got trampled around the whole cage. The store-bought hay bins are tiny and won't hold much hay at all. As far as the popsicle stick hay bin goes, I think I would have to see it! Are you thinking about just gluing the sticks together and tying it to the side? I guess I'm not sure what exactly you meant?

I don't like the hay being on the floor of the kitchen because they're constantly peeing and pooing on it and dragging it out (which would probably happen anyway but hopefully less)

I was thinking of trying to make something like one of these except out of Popsicle sticks:(broken link removed)
https://www.deemillen.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=68&products_id=917

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-df1gbPEPjOI/TmzdDwhDSVI/AAAAAAAAAKE/Rq_F-_xaWls/s160/Internal+Hay+Rack.jpg

Sell Wood Hay Manger Rack For Rabbit Hutch - Suppliers Of Rabbit Hutch, Hamster Cage From China

My biggest concern was the piggies chewing on the wood - I'm not sure Popsicle sticks would be safe for GPs to chew on, and I'm not sure what would be a safe way to glue them together either...

I like to do what bp does but I have babies right now so I guess my only option is just putting
a pile in the cage. I dont like that. Does anyone know of a baby safe hay rack?

I like to do what bp does but I have babies right now so I guess my only option is just putting
a pile in the cage. I dont like that. Does anyone know of a baby safe hay rack?

I think a hay bag would be a baby safe hay rack but I'm not 100% sure about that...

Is it feasible to make one myself or easier to buy a hay bag

hay bag is usually a paper bad with the top folded down if I am not mistaken. you could try this Amazon.com: Super Pet Rabbit Rollin&(broken link removed) or use a pan. both of those seem baby friendly

Is it feasible to make one myself or easier to buy a hay bag

You can make one yourself easily but here are some ideas from places you can buy them so you can see what they look like...

(broken link removed)(broken link removed)

And links to forum posts where people have made their own:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/accessories/71301-my-hay-bag-cage-liner.html

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/accessories/71422-gemini-does-not-get-purpose-hay-rack.html?prefixid=Hay_Racks

I use two bins from the dollar store which come in an array of colors (pink, blue, green and purple). They are large enough for a piggy to sit in and munch, and deep enough that I am able to put a layer of Carefresh down before I put hay on top of it. That way, they can sit and play in the hay and eat it like they wish, but keep down the mess factor. I was using suet feeders to hold the hay, but I think they were getting frustrated at the work it was taking so I took them down.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.