Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Hay Rack

SpicyPiggies

Cavy Slave
I recently bought the Bed Bath and Beyond Utensil Holder as a hay rack for my pigs. They love it!! I put a pie tin underneath to catch the hay, but it still gets spread everywhere. Any other suggestions of what to put underneath?

Are you using a kitchen area or just fleece in the whole cage? You can add a coroplast tray for a kitchen area.

oooohhh pics would be cool

Pics please! Hahaha. Maybe try a kitchen area, like lissie said.

-sarica

kitchen areas are the best for keeping cage hay free and they tend to poo while they eat so it kinda like litter training too. Please post pics

kitchen areas are the best for keeping cage hay free and they tend to poo while they eat so it kinda like litter training too. Please post pics
You can use litter pans those dreaded old store bought cage bottoms, plastic containers, cardboard ect plenty of items from around the house.

Are you using a kitchen area or just fleece in the whole cage? You can add a coroplast tray for a kitchen area.

I just have fleece. I don't use coroplast but I think I should make a designated kitchen.

It sounds like you and I are very similar (utensil holder and hay getting all over the fleece). I have a 2x4 and was considering a kitchen too but I was wondering if putting one in at one end of the cage would take up space for them being able to run around. I don't have the ability to make a loft right now as we must have a lid on the cage due to other animals on the house and a loft would take a major redesign of the cage.

[GuineaPigCages.com] Hay Rackthis is my temporary kitchen its a drawer from one of those rolling storage thing untill my cage and coroplast comes in

@boofp do they have a hard time getting in there? That looks like a pretty good idea though. I put a large box around the hay rack so we will see if that helps.

No gidget doesnt but she is in her new cage and I still used the plastic thing lol

I had one of those BBB utensil holders in my hand, and I put it back because I was just worried one of my girls would get her head stuck in the wires. Any thoughts? Anyone?

I have a BBB shower caddy for hay, and I was also worried about faces being smooshed between the bars in an attempt to reach hay. I just take small hay bundles at a time and weave it through the slots so it never happens. It takes an extra minute to refill their hay rack (2-3 times a day) but it functions effectively.

[GuineaPigCages.com] Hay Rack gidgets new kitchen

@boofp I tried one of those as a hay container before. They're for birds, right? It would clamp down on pieces of hay and my pigs had to rip the pieces of hay sticking out off, and I constantly had to refill it back to a point where they could eat from it. I'm surprised that works well for you! I wish I got mine to work. Also, is there an edge on the other side of that black tube where the pig can step down onto or does it require a jump?

I have the BB&B utensil holder - LOVE it!!! I use it in the kitchen area.
[GuineaPigCages.com] Hay Rack

Is the bottom pellets??

[GuineaPigCages.com] Hay Rack I found this type of utensil holder but it's in a local chain store in Oregon. I was worried that they may get their feet caught in the "v" shape wire but it doesn't seem to be a problem at all. They do jump up and eat from the top as well as the sides. Sometimes they accidentally tip if over but not a problem. Yes, I do have to keep filling it and, yes, the hay gets all over but I just keep picking it up and putting clean hay back in rack and it works out fine for me.

i just have to put my two cents in here - i have tried lots of versions of hay racks, and while they worked well, i didn't male my boys happy. i finally gave up and simply have a designate corner of the cage for hay. i drop in handfuls as needed and they love to bury themselves in it, eat it and sleep in it! it makes them sooooo happy :D. i've learned just how much they eat, so there's very little waste and the hay doesn't scatter too far - i sweep up little lost strands when i do the daiy cleaning. just my 2 cents. . . ❤️

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.