Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay rack

Brenda B

Cavy Slave
I have a "rollin' in the hay" hay ball for my new piggies. It seems like the bars are kind of close togther for this to be a good hay rack...any ideas, thoughts or suggestions?

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
know some people here use them, but others don't like them. Since they roll I personally would be afraid to use it especially if they tried to get under it. That and since it moves when the try to get the hay they might get suck on it.

most hay rack are really too small to supply the amount of hay a piggie needs since they need unlimited amounts. I don't have a kitchen area so I use one I got at PetNo before I learned how bad they are and fill it up 2-3 times per day, plus I leave a big handful in a toilet paper roll (cut length wise so they can't get stuck in it). https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/12352/ppuser/10402I

Don't mind the poos.

Brenda B

Cavy Slave
Thanks for this tip. I actually have the hay ball hooked in the cage, but it seems like it may be hard to actually get the hay out. I will try a toilet tissue tube. Where can I get me some NY Yankee fleece? ;;)

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
ewwwwww. GO SOX! (By the way they are totally going to kick the Rays butt tonight):D

I would try Jo Ann's when they have coupons in the newspapers. I got mine for 50% off. it's regularly abot $7-8 yd since it's MLB licensed. (Expensive I know) Good thing is you only need about a yard for a 2x3 cage.

Janelle

Cavy Slave
I made a hayrack using some chicken wire I had in the garage. It works great!

Brenda B

Cavy Slave
Best of luck to your Sox...since the Yanks are out...I grew up in Danbury but live in CA now...where abouts in CT are you? It seems most of the piggy posts are from the east coast. Guess I need to get back there to fit in!

Thanks again for the tissue roll tip...I give them to my gerbils to chew on so I will save one for my pigs.

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
I live in Trumbull but go to UConn and have an off campus apartment in Willimantic.

My father used to work at the Danbury Airport so I know the area well. And the mall is SO much better than the one in Trumbull it's not even funny.

Strange, I feel like most of the posters are from the West coast. lol

Brenda B

Cavy Slave
Now I will show my advanced age(39)...I remember the mall when it used to be The Great Danbury Fair! We would get a day off of school to go...
Nice to meet you and I am so happy to find this forum as I am brand new to the piggies...have lots of other critters and 2 kids that I stay home with...but first time for piggies. My daughter wanted one for her 7th birthday. SO we adopted one. She is bored and now I have 3...:D Mom is a sucker for a cute face!

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
Everytime I go there my father tells me about the fair and how he and my mom used to go there....awww how cute!

That tends to be the case with kids (not for me though thankfully). At least you didn't dump the poor baby like most people do when their kids get bored. You loved him/her so much you got him/her a buddy. And for that this forum loves you. and to make it even better you are taking the steps needed to ensure they get quality care. :love:

And you adopted too which is wonderful!

RainKindle

Cavy Slave
I had one of those balls for hay. My poor guinea struggled with it. So I gave it to a friend that had a guinea that loved it. I was sorta jealous, ah well, my piggies play in their hay now. It is more entertaining to have a hay bin lined with carefresh and sit back and watch.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Firstly, the bars are too close together making it really hard for the pigs to get any hay from it.

Secondly, there have been a few reports of pigs being injured by them.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I used to use these until my Feyman got his head stuck in one, flipped out, and started running around the cage in a panic. If I hadn't been there I'm not sure what might have happened, and the hay balls came out of the cages that night.

The bars are too small for them to get the hay, so what the pigs do (in my experience) is work the "door" open and then stick their heads in. My experience was that they are able to get their heads in but not back out so easily, which really seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

You might try a folded cube grid - my pigs just love it and many of them will crawl up into the hay/folded grid.

RainKindle

Cavy Slave
The bars are too small for them to get the hay, so what the pigs do (in my experience) is work the "door" open and then stick their heads in. My experience was that they are able to get their heads in but not back out so easily, which really seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
Yeash!
Maybe we should put a stronger warning out.
I had no idea that they were a danger.
maybe a sticky about their dangers?
Well, I'm off to go alert the people I gave that thing to.

Brenda B

Cavy Slave
took the hay ball back to the store and am using a grid now...many thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.