Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Hay Quistion

piggiepie57

Cavy Slave
Since i live in a huge farm comunity it is easy for me to get bales of hay for really cheap. but i have heard that getting none packaged hay can lead to lice and other parasites getting in with your piggies, and if thats the case is it better to just continue to feed store bouth hay to them? also if i was to get a bale what is the best way to store it?

I hope thats not true because I buy hay by the bale because it cost me $4/bale and last about 2 months. If I was to buy from the store it would probably be $30-40/week. I have never had a problem with bale hay. I store mine in my basement. In a garage would be fine or a shed. You just have to keep it dry so it doesn't mold.

Lice are species specific so I wouldn't worry about that. As far as parasites, I don't know what the difference would be with fresh and boxed hay. They're both grown on farms.

Also make sure the bale is green, smells fresh, etc. Pigs also go for the leafy pieces more.

awesome that will cut my hay bill by a ton thanks everyone. also if i store it in a tote in the shed will that be ok or will it get to hot, and is it possible for hay to catch itself on fire? it gets around 90-100 degree'sin the summer here.

I think if it gets moldy it could catch on fire because moldy hay gives off heat but even then I have never heard of hay catching on fire that way. It should be ok just make sure no one smokes around it and you don't put anything around it like a hot lawm mower motor, etc.

The container it is in needs to have air circulation, so you will need to punch holes in the tote. If it gets very humid where you are, that could cause a problem, too. The only hay that catches fire that I know of is green hay that hasn't been dried. The hay you feed your pigs should be dried; cows get wet, fermented hay. Just ask the farmer. You're looking for horse quality hay.

how long would 25 lbs of hay last a boar and sow ? how much hay would that be? Its 19 for the hay and 50$ shipping -.- is that a good deal?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.