Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Hay option

PigbertandErnie

Cavy Slave
My piggie Pigbert has bladder issues so I monitor his diet closely limiting his calcium intake. But I recently got Ernie he is 2 1/2months old and I have seen it recomended for baby piggies to have Alfalfa hay up to 6months for healthy bone growth. Since its high in calcium I can not give to Pigbert. So my question is how important is it for Ernie to have the alfalfa as opposed to unlimited timothy. Is this a must for health? I would hate to have to seperate them for 3months so they can have seperate hay. Please advise.

Baby pigs don't need alfalfa hay. They can eat the same hay as older pigs.

What they do need is extra calcium, and alfalfa has more calcium than timothy, which is why alfalfa pellets (not hay) are recommended for young pigs.

But you can take Ernie out of the cage and give him some parsley every day, or other of the other really high calcium vegetables. Or give Pigbert cilantro and Ernie parsley. Just so Ernie gets the extra calcium and Pigbert doesn't.

Thanks for your reply. Not enough calcium definatley is my concern my pellets do say alfalfa on the ingredients so those should be ok for the pellets? And good to hear, I have been dividing up veggie's like you suggested. As long as my pellets are ok then it's good to know I don't want him to be lacking what he needs.

Alfalfa-based pellets will be just fine for Ernie, but you should probably consider switching to timothy-based pellets for Pigbert (which, might I add, is an adorable name).

I agree for sure about the pellets I just don't know how to give them both what they need being in the cage together. Since they are grazers other than laptime seperate snacks set for each of their dietary needs. Don't see how I can seperate food ie. pellets for each piggie. Any suggestions? Again I would hate to seperate them Ernie loves running all around the cage like a maniac.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.