Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay on Fleece?

shortlilcutie

Cavy Slave
I was just wondering what you people that use fleece as bedding use to hold your hay? I find that the hay gets all stuck in the fleece and its kind of hard to get off....what do you use?

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
i put it in a hay rach and that rack is on a brick patio.

by the way, how do you like fleece? what is your setup? like fleece, double layered, fleece and towels.....

Starbucks

Cavy Slave
i use a hay rack also, and its not really a problem. maybe because i am using a different kind of fleece then you.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Ascot and Furlong don't really know how to use a hay rack, but I think they are just too lazy to eat from it =) So, I used to throw the hay on the towels and then sweep it up with a dust pan and brush twice a day. I thought sweeping got most of the hay and poops out, but before washing I would hit it against the wall (a very funny sight) to get the rest out.

Treen

Cavy Slave
That was one of the main problems I had with washable beddings - mine love having mounds of hay to play in so much and I didn't want to just use a hay rack. I know they still get what they want to eat, but tunnelling and hiding is so much fun for them! But it's a pain to get it all off before washing it! I used to put it over the washing line and brush it really vigorously with a dustpan and brush type brush. I tried putting paper down in the area I was putting the hay down - just a couple of sheets. But they just trod it everywhere so that didn't work! Ah well...!

Piglet

Cavy Slave
That happened with me too. Only part of the cage was covered in towels, so I used to get bedding on mine too. I stopped using the newspaper, because they used to eat so much of it, so in the end I gave up with towels. I've got a brick patio now, aaahhhh, so much easier to clean!

mrsgrooge

Cavy Slave
My boys have an upstairs cafe. I just put down newspaper up there and tons of hay for them to eat/burrow in. I also feed them up there. They seem to like it.

I hate how the hay gets all over the fleece too. The seperate eating area has helped, but some does still fall onto the hay. I have come to accept it as a hazard of owning gps.

lilouisianagal

Cavy Slave
Another option is to put the hay elsewhere in a rack on a patio or in a loft like they are saying and then on your fleece get small squares of thin soft fabric (or other kinds) that they can play in. You can find some really good fabric on the dollar tables at stores, and get a yard, then cut it.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
i would try patios. bricks are uber cheap!

shortlilcutie

Cavy Slave
btw, i have double layers of fleece with puppy pads underneath, and newspaper underneath that (jic!) so what exactly are these patio things? and how do i make em?

cacosta

Cavy Slave
I made a hay silo. Tilt loved to go running through big piles of hay. I have since been putting my daughters old baby towels (the ones with hoods) in and they like to tunnel through those now. They even like to hide in the hood part of the towel.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.